About Traditional Muzzleloaders

Loading BPCR/BPTR Cartridges
Snapshots of the Past

BP Gang Pic of the Week

Author Topic: Rendezvous?  (Read 534 times)

Online samm

Rendezvous?
« on: December 12, 2016, 09:57:39 PM »
As I have stated previously, I really don't have much black powder experience; however I have discovered rendezvous. The only one I have attended is the Alafia rendezvous in Florida. I have been several times, and it is a blast. Where do you guys go, who are into this sort of thing? Damn! why did I wait till I was in my 60's to discover this?

Offline Tajue17

Re: Rendezvous?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2016, 09:36:59 AM »
if you go to one of those big book stores and they have that magazine rack with every magazine known to man,,,, I believe  there is still couple muzzleloader mags, one is muzzle blast and the 2nd I forget  but they list all the rendezvous shoots there,,,also the NMLRA would have them listed I think too.

I went to one here before that was sponsored by the NMLRA in Hanson, Ma.   and when I went to sign up for the woods course they said I had to wear period correct clothing or at least a hat and jacket to shoot,   I honestly think it was only the people who ran the shoots own rules to make it all look old fashioned I'm not sure but I didn't have period clothes so I had to leave.  their  woods course was old logs set up in the woods like a 3D shoot cept they used clay pigeons,  it looked pretty fun but soon after the club ended up kicking out (or they left on their own not sure)  the primitive BP guys and now the club is all in-lines with scopes,,,,,,,, its a rare day when you spot  hawken there now  >:(

I actually ordered my first fowler (Dave Motto) after seeing all these guys together at the range and shooting,  they  promoted Primitive BP (or Period Correct BP) here in South Eastern Mass just by showing up somewhere and Now their all gone because of club Politics and the people on the board could care less about flintlocks.

I'm with you though I just wish there where more around

Offline rollingb

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2016, 10:45:52 AM »
"Rendezvous" in the world of traditional muzzleloading is considered a "SPORT",.... and as with all other sports, it comes with certain "rules" (or at least it used to).

To the fella saying he left a Rendezvous because he didn't have any "period clothes" to wear for a Woods Walk,.... I have yet to meet ANY 'skinner who wouldn't loan a new fella a hat (or etc.) so he could participate in the fun.

Now you're seeing the modern inline junk at those shoots,.... that's what happens when there are "no rules" and anything goes.  >:(
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold."
http://www.traditionalmuzzleloadingassociation.org/

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2016, 07:55:10 AM »
rendezvous events with the GSBPA (garden state black powder association) requires some form of "period dress" just to be on the grounds, let alone shoot a "period correct" (more or less) traditional muzzleloader.  i think that's the proper way to do it.  if the name of the game is to recreate both the physicality and mindset of dayze gone by, so should the dress, firearms and accoutrements fit the circumstances.  there can be diff'rent "camps" within such settings, such as colonial, trapper, mountain, etc., each with their nuances of dress, firearms and accoutrements.  walking around the grounds with a baseball cap on and sticking out like a sore thumb would be counter productive to the event, so for a newbie's arrival to such an event there's always a workshirt to be loaned for the stay ... and firearm, too, if need be.  absolutely NO non-period firearms allowed (inline zip guns) but most any kinda sorta trad ml will do just fine, but aligned with the period/era being depicted (no percussion locks in the colonial group!).

Offline Monterey

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2016, 12:24:24 AM »
Most of the rendezvous in this area do have specific rules to participate but welcome non participants as visitors.  Usually it's PC only after 6PM. 

I don't do reinactment but often visit many.  While PC outfits are a requirement to shoot if there are matches, there are plenty of shoots and matches where any dress is acceptable.  We encourage in line shooters to participate in the percussion class but they never show up.
Mike Lee

Offline rollingb

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2016, 02:03:58 PM »
Most of the rendezvous in this area do have specific rules to participate but welcome non participants as visitors.  Usually it's PC only after 6PM. 

I don't do reinactment but often visit many.  While PC outfits are a requirement to shoot if there are matches, there are plenty of shoots and matches where any dress is acceptable.  We encourage in line shooters to participate in the percussion class but they never show up.
I'll go out on a limb, and guess the reason they don't show up is because they're afraid of gettin' their butts kicked on the firin' line.  ;)

We used to have a few inline shooters show up at some of our shoots, and it was down-right pitiful to watch them.  :)
They seemed to have the idea, that modern technology can substitute for "practice",.... they can hit what they're shootin' at off a "rest/bench", but are miserable at shootin off their "hind legs" (off-hand), and they don't burn pounds of powder throughout the year practicin' like most of us do.

The same can be said for a lot of the scoped-centerfire-shooters I've shot against.  :thumbs:

Where's the fun in havin' a riflegun you don't shoot year-round?  :o
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold."
http://www.traditionalmuzzleloadingassociation.org/

Offline Keith Zimmerman

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2017, 07:02:49 PM »
I drove several hours to NY one year with a couple buddies to the Eastern.  My one buddy had no period clothes.  The rest of us did.  They turned us away at the gate because of that.  He had a lot of money in his pocket to buy his stuff.  But he couldn't get in to shop.  It happens.

Most shoots try to be PC as possible.  I'm a bag shooter.  I carry everything on me.  Doesn't take much.  But shooting against box shooters/bib shooters just doesn't seem fair.  It is what it is though.  They have the shoots to raise money for the clubs.  If they turned everybody away who wasn't PC, very few would be left to shoot.

Offline JamesV

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2017, 10:23:09 AM »
I attended a Rendezvous with out period dress and was allowed in, mostly because I knew a lot of people there and was there to buy some gun parts from one of the traders. There was a young man (20ish) dressed as an Indian, head band with feather and a little leather "napkin" covering his business, front and back, which was clearly visible to anyone that cared to look. I asked one of the fellows I knew "what's the deal there" and was told it was period dress LOL.

I thought it was funny,

James