If it loads and shoots with Black Powder ~ muzzle or cartridge ~ y'all come to the right place!

** BPGang Forum Rules **

For smartphone and tablet users, a BPGang mobile theme is available!

Author Topic: Linen patching?  (Read 100 times)

Online goingoldskool

• BPG Member
Linen patching?
« on: August 08, 2021, 08:18:27 PM »
Has anyone used pure linen for patching material?  I was wondering if it was better than cotton???
You experience and/or thoughts.
God bless,
Rodd

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
Re: Linen patching?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2021, 06:07:30 AM »
Been there, done that a number of times with a variety of linen cloth swatches/weaves, and found no appreciable difference whence compared to cotton pillow ticking.  Any patch cloth is just a vehicle for the lube, and it's the lube itself that's most important.
Trad Gang ~ Buffalo Rifles ~ TMA ~ NRA ~ NRA RSO ~ GOA ~ VCDL

Online goingoldskool

• BPG Member
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2021, 07:29:14 AM »
Thanks Rob! Now I don't have to clutter my brain with wondering about it...

Offline dhaverstick

• BPG Member
  • High-tech hillbilly
Linen patching?
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2021, 08:38:57 AM »
I've used both linen and muslin with good results.

Here's a funny story about me picking out some cloth to make patches from. When I first got into trad muzzleloading, I had a 50 caliber rifle made and I was learning all about its care and feeding. Through much shooting, I determined that it liked patches that were .015" thick the best. So when I started running low on patches, I went to Walmart to look at their linen selection. After the nice lady pointed me to the bolts of cloth I needed to examine, imagine the look on her face when I whipped out a set of digital calipers so I could measure the thickness of her wares. She, of course, asked what I was doing and after I went into a rather lengthy explanation, she just rolled her eyes and walked away. That was well over ten years ago and I'm still cutting patches out of that square yard of cloth.

Darren

Offline Kurt

• BPG Member
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2021, 11:33:15 AM »
You linen users should try some good silk :D
Also if you shoot a ring tailed bullet use silk thread instead of your Wife's sewing machine spool stuff :D