If it loads and shoots with Black Powder ~ muzzle or cartridge ~ y'all come to the right place!

** BPGang Forum Rules **

For smartphone and tablet users, a BPGang mobile theme is available!

Author Topic: 32 vs 36 Fouling Issues?  (Read 212 times)

Offline Keith Zimmerman

• BPG Member
Re: 32 vs 36 Fouling Issues?
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2020, 06:42:05 PM »
I have an Ed Wenger .32 flinter.  I have no problems with fouling shooting it 30 times or more.  I shoot 30 gr 2F, 31 ball, and 10th patch or 15th patch.

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2020, 07:03:05 PM »
With the right load and lube, I can fire off almost indefinite shots without fouling wipes using the .32, .36, .40, .45, .50, .54, .58 and .62 flintlock muzzleloaders i've had over the decades.

The key is in keeping the bp residue soft (quality powder along with blowing down the tube) and using a good load that can deal with the fouling and get down to the chamber and  sit on the powder charge.

However, for the best accuracy, clearing the tube of the residue and seating a *consistent* load is best.  If a match allows that, that's what the winners and placers do and for good reason ... along with tight loads. 
Trad Gang ~ Buffalo Rifles ~ TMA ~ NRA ~ NRA RSO ~ GOA ~ VCDL

Offline Yewbender

• BPG Member
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2020, 07:49:37 PM »
I have a .36 flinter shooting 3f swiss and have zero fouling issues. The reason why...i swab the bore between shot or every couple shots. Now i have shot a 21 target woodswalk without swabbing cause i wanted to see if i could and did without any loading issues. But is my rifle just as accurate as with swabbing very shot, don’t know unless i do it on paper. Keeping everything consistant will give us the best accurate shot...well untill you factor in the “the nut behing the but plate”!!!