If it loads and shoots with Black Powder ~ muzzle or cartridge ~ y'all come to the right place!

** BPGang Forum Rules **

For smartphone and tablet users, a BPGang mobile theme is available!

Author Topic: working up a .45-70 PPB load  (Read 125 times)

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
working up a .45-70 PPB load
« on: August 22, 2020, 07:20:04 PM »
August 20, 2020 ... Testing out PPB cartridge loads at 200 yards.  Pedersoli .45-70 '74 Sharps with barrel and paper patch chamber relined in chrome moly by Lee Shaver.  The cartridge build - Starline fire formed brass, Federal 210 Match LR primer, case flash hole reamed and a newsprint wad added inside the case, 78.25 grains of Swiss 1-1/2F drop tubed and with light 1/16" compression, .060" LDPE wad, BACO Jim444530E slick with 1:16 alloy that drops at 528 grains, Seth Cole 7# Canary paper patch.  This video shows the last 5 shots taken as fast as I can load, aim, and fire.  My aiming and firing concentration was not on game, hopefully maybe next week.  Just under 2MOA average for seven 2 shot groupings, with the largest spread 6" (3moa) and the smallest was under one inch, the average was 2.91".  not at all good, but not too bad.  At least they were all in the black :)  Target hit sequence is shown at the video's end for all 15 rounds fired, which is half the total rounds fired for score at our Spring/Fall Buffalo Rifle match.  If the 15 shots fired were taken as score, the total would be 141-3x out of 150.  Just built more PPB rounds for testing, 82.25 grains this time.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Trad Gang ~ Buffalo Rifles ~ TMA ~ NRA ~ NRA RSO ~ GOA ~ VCDL

Online goingoldskool

Re: working up a .45-70 PPB load
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2020, 07:46:25 PM »
I'd say thats right fine shooting!   Especially at the pace you were at....

Online doc nock

• BPG Member
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2020, 11:01:52 AM »
it's been a while since we've heard of Rob shooting those big loads...so one does get rusty I suspect, but I agree with Rodd...any group like that at 200 is considerably better then I'd do...

Alas, just getting into that position anymore TO shoot would require a 2nd person to get me UP! :):)

Those are some pretty loaded rounds... That yellar paper makes for an interesting looking set up! :)

Offline Cobweb

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2020, 11:56:14 PM »
Some fine shooting there!

This past April I missed out on owning a .45-70 when I came in 2nd place (along with the other 19 tickets!) on a raffle for a falling block gun. My good friend Mike won the thing and wanted to shoot a deer so bad. We worked up a load kind of hurriedly and he was holding a great group at 150 yrds. Shot two times at a deer at 120 yrds. and didn't touch it! Brought the rifle back to the club and it was still shooting right on! Sometimes you are to anxious! The gun was way to fun to shoot!!
Again great shootn'!

Big John

Online doc nock

• BPG Member
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2020, 08:29:09 AM »
I hear that...! I can mmmiss at any range anymore...

I have a buddy up North who slaims them big bullet Black powder guns often don't start to show much accuracy till 200 yards or more as the bullet "goes to sleep" as he calls it...

I know Rob shoots way farther then 200 with that rifle

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2020, 04:55:58 PM »
more 200yd load testing today of the .45-70.  just shooting for group, not the spot, the last 15 rounds.  i think this load will do it as clearly it's better than my eye and trigger finger. 

[ Invalid Attachment ]
Trad Gang ~ Buffalo Rifles ~ TMA ~ NRA ~ NRA RSO ~ GOA ~ VCDL

Online doc nock

• BPG Member
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2020, 06:22:30 PM »
Hey, Rob---

If you're happy, that's all that matters...

:):)

As I shared, I couldn't likely see the bloody target at 200 anymore way things have been...