If it loads and shoots with Black Powder ~ muzzle or cartridge ~ y'all come to the right place!

** BPGang Forum Rules **

For smartphone and tablet users, a BPGang mobile theme is available!

Author Topic: Continuing up the trail  (Read 1949 times)

Online doc nock

• BPG Contributing Member
Continuing up the trail
« on: January 24, 2017, 09:13:02 AM »
Lets try this again... :)

OK, when I started on this new adventure, our fearless leader took me under wing, I ventured to try to "get into it". I bought a crazy crow possibles kit but it didn't turn out as well as I'd like.  The seams, even after forcing it right side out, (sewn inside out) it showed stitching badly... maybe holes punched with the wheel punch were too big, or too far from the edge, or??? but for now it is serviceable and might self destruct in use, but hey...

So then I made a bottle holder for a spray bottle of Moose milk and sewed it inside the bag to keep it handy and up right.

Next was a flint wallet.  I decided to make cut outs to reach into the pouches for each flint more accessible.  I tried to wet form it but that type tanned leather doesn't wet form well... but the cold chisel helped to stretch it and form it some...

(stretched it wet with a cold chisel to wet form to get the flint in / out easier)

NOTE: In editing this to switch to Imagur images, I deleted some of the ring end trout knife referenced below... It didn't work out and I made a patch knife from a Green River paring blade with bocote scales

Thankfully, this fits the sheath I made and sewed to the strap of my possibles bag

« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 09:00:11 PM by doc nock »

Offline Monterey

• BPG Member
Re: Continuing up the trail
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2017, 04:39:21 PM »
One thing you can do with the knife is cut that ring off leaving a tang then drill a hole into a piece of stock for the handle.  Epoxy it in and then shape the wood or whatever you use to suit you.  You can put a disc of brass, steel, bone, leather or what have you over the tang to hide your 21st century adhesive. :D
Mike Lee

Offline Yewbender

• BPG Member
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2017, 06:24:07 PM »
Nice work Doc!

Online doc nock

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2017, 07:11:37 PM »
Mike, Gary, thanks for the comments.

NOTE: Because of puke bucket blocked pics, I substituted the final patch knife made from a Green River paring knife blade... not terribly period correct, but I'm not a knife forger like Tippet so this works...

This is what that ring end "trout knife" looked like...

Mike,

Rob encouraged cutting the RING off, but I'm leavin the ring... that has so little mass weight, it'll help hold onto it when cuttin patch..not very antique looking, but... form follows function...

NOTE: Now I have a good trout knife that still fits the nylon sheath it came with

For now, the ringed trout knife will stay something else and the paring blade will have to do...

I tried slabbing scales on the tang using epoxy (leaving the ring on) and when I tried to shape the wood, scales just rolled off... I'd scored the tang deeply on all four sides and also scored the wood... but nothing helped... it was a full 24 hrs but I have to wonder if it needed more time... I even used a bit more hardener when I mixed since it'd not be exposed to air much, but it just peeled off that skinny tang... So...went to the Green river paring blade

Gary,

Thanks,... kinda fumbling my way along here...
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 09:13:52 PM by doc nock »

Offline Monterey

• BPG Member
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2017, 10:13:55 PM »
Maybe it's the bowyer in me, but I use smooth on to glue scales. :)

It's pricey to purchase just for knives, but most guys I've talked to use JB weld.
Mike Lee

Offline rollingb

• BPG Member
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2017, 12:42:41 AM »
One thing you can do with the knife is cut that ring off leaving a tang then drill a hole into a piece of stock for the handle.  Epoxy it in and then shape the wood or whatever you use to suit you.  You can put a disc of brass, steel, bone, leather or what have you over the tang to hide your 21st century adhesive. :D
That's the route I would go also.  :thumbs:
Knives designed like Doc's, are made to look as though they were made from a "trap spring",.... and his might be, it's difficult to tell without a close look.  :camp:
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold."
http://www.traditionalmuzzleloadingassociation.org/

Online doc nock

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2017, 12:19:52 PM »
That's the route I would go also.  :thumbs:
Knives designed like Doc's, are made to look as though they were made from a "trap spring",.... and his might be, it's difficult to tell without a close look.  :camp:

Since it was a gift from Ken Mowery (adkmountain) I dunno its origin. 

I believe it's SS so doubt it was trap spring...

Just something for now... :)  Made the sheath big enough it'll hold a paring knife green river blade down the road...

BTW, Mike, thanks for the tip on JB Weld... I wouldn't have thought of that, read about it, but never used it--it has to be something I can get in smaller quantities since I don't use it enough to keep from going hard on me.......utube I watched used Fast (not slow) set epoxy.  One chap suggested that is often done for the practiced pros so they can heat and remove broken scales to replace... dunno.  Makes sense, but I don't intend to get into that and I would need a bit of time, cause I don't work so fast anymore... :)

« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 09:17:54 PM by doc nock »