For smartphone and tablet users, a BPGang mobile theme is available ....

CLICK HERE

Author Topic: How I like to celebrate the 4th!  (Read 217 times)

Offline dhaverstick

• High-tech hillbilly
How I like to celebrate the 4th!
« on: July 06, 2020, 12:15:52 PM »

Lots of folks like to shoot their guns on the Fourth just to make some racket. I just cannot do that unless I am shooting at some food. I killed these fat, young-n-tenders yesterday morning and they were at least 50 yards from the house so it was like a real hunt and everything. I sneaked up on both of them and actually kept barking at one so he would continue his barking and let me pinpoint his location. I used my 12 gauge smoothbore, Ole Betsy, to get the job done.

My buddy, John Pruitt, gets all the parts he needs today to make me a new squirrel killer, a 32 caliber rifle. I should have it in my hands in a couple of weeks. I don't see how she could possibly be as good to me as Ole Betsy but I'm willing to give her a tryout.

Darren

Offline doc nock

• BPG Member
Re: How I like to celebrate the 4th!
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2020, 12:55:00 PM »
Sounds like a productive use of time off...

Give ole john our best

Online goingoldskool

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2020, 04:43:23 PM »
I was wondering if you had your skwirl rifle yet...   it'll be hard to ' pass the torch' from a proven weapon, but I'm sure you will keep us posted!

Nice shooting!

God bless,
Rodd

Offline dhaverstick

• High-tech hillbilly
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2020, 07:45:03 AM »
Sounds like a productive use of time off...

Give ole john our best

John received all the parts he needed yesterday from Muzzleloader Builder's Supply and probably has the rifle halfway built by now. I know he had the stock mostly done. All he needed were parts to put in it and to do a final shaping. Here's a photo he sent me of the stock a couple of weeks ago when he first cut it out. He has the barrel and ramrod channels cut out now and I think he was going to seat the barrel last night. I got a Rice barrel this time instead of a Colerain. Colerain only goes down to a 36 caliber and I wanted a 32.

Darren

Offline Yewbender

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2020, 04:23:41 PM »
Well i’ll have to say, that there is a great way to start off the 4th :thumbs: Fire, smoke, boom, and to top it off....tasty tree rats for dinner! Congrats on a fine hunt :thumbs: