For smartphone and tablet users, a BPGang mobile theme is available ....

CLICK HERE

Author Topic: wheres the best deal on a 32 or 36, see inside...  (Read 90 times)

Offline Tajue17

wheres the best deal on a 32 or 36, see inside...
« on: March 25, 2020, 08:20:41 AM »
I have 45 and up including shotguns!  but I don't have a nice little round ball squirrel rifle,, I'm thinking 32 or 36 even smaller but need opinions on that because who knows I may get a head shot at a rabbit or pheasant while on the hike.   doesn't have to be a flintlock but it must be considered traditional..  should I look into having one made or where do you guys think I can find such a thing hanging on a wall available now.

while we're here tell me your thoughts on my idea,, I don't post a lot but I'm around so thank you,,,,, and hope you fellas are all doing well..  I'm on the south shore in Ma if anyone is stuck at home and needs anything like food or TP ect!
"Us vs Them"

Online goingoldskool

Re: wheres the best deal on a 32 or 36, see inside...
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2020, 01:07:06 PM »
I have a Tip Curtiss .36 flinter that I absolutely love!   I like the .36 because it IS a slightly bigger ball and if a near miss happens, a slightly bigger ball gives me the Advantage!  Lol

I am the 2nd owner of the rifle.... I didn't ask the reason he wanted to sell, I was tickled to find it.   I've heard good things about the Kibler rifles as well.

[ Invalid Attachment ]
 [ Invalid Attachment ]

Online vtmtnman

• Mountain member
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2020, 11:24:12 AM »
Were it me I'd post a want ad over at ALR.I got a good amount of guns offered to me when I was looking for a .32 flinter.A budget of 1200 or less you could get an amazing gun shipped.

Offline Tajue17

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2020, 05:51:58 PM »
great guys thank you I'm going for the 36 unless a 32 is too good of a deal,,  checking that ALR site too!
"Us vs Them"

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2020, 03:06:15 PM »
ALR is the current best trad muzzy classifieds.  i've had both .32 (offshore built, traditions crockett, percussion) and .36 (onshore built, jack garner custom, flint) rifles.  both were good guns, with the garner flint exceptional.  there may be some things to think about with each type.

• it's Very typical for offshore trad muzzleloaders to employ some manner of "patent breech", where there's a narrower ante-chamber directly behind the barrel's main chamber.  this will usually require special attention for fouling control and cleaning.  most onshore trad muzzys employ classic flat faced breech plugs.
  • of all the offshore trad muzzleloaders, and i've worked on many different brands and models, only those built by investarms (lyman, cabelas, DGW, and other re-brands) will allow their breech plugs to be relatively easy to remove.  some brands, such as traditions, emphatically state that their breech plugs can not be removed and removal will destroy the barrel.  for most folks, breech removal won't ever be a concern, but it will be if that "rare" occasion occurs when something goes awry and the plug needs go come out.
  • the offshore flint locks themselves are usually OK.  this is the heart of the ignition system and the better the lock's geometry, materials and build, the better the gun will function.  this is extremely important for flintlock guns.  however, there are some things that can be done to most any lock to make it function better and be more reliable.  if i can't get an offshore flint lock to perform i'll typically replace it with an L&R RPL lock.
  • if at all possible, if you have the buck$ to spend, or can delay buying and save up the proper buck$, i would ALWAYS recommend an onshore built trad muzzleloader first and foremost; used-but-not-abused is a Great way to go, and there are many good builders here in the states, and i can absolutely recommend a jim kibler southern mountain rifle kit.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 04:28:08 PM by Rob DiStefano »
Trad Gang ~ Buffalo Rifles ~ TMA ~ NRA ~ NRA RSO ~ GOA ~ VCDL

Online Yewbender

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2020, 10:33:37 PM »
I had TVM build me .36 flinter and love it!Havenít had it out for tree rats yet but shoot it at one of my clubs woods walks. Glad i got the .36 cause any smaller and i would have trouble detecting hits on targets over 50 yards as theres Not enough lead to ring then steel plates. The other thing is .36 balls are easier to handle in colder weather.

As far as production or custom itís up to you and what your willing to spend. Nothing wrong with production but they just ainít as perdy to look at and i also like a long barrel with full stock wood.