For smartphone and tablet users, a BPGang mobile theme is available ....

CLICK HERE

Author Topic: Blown patches  (Read 1161 times)

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
Blown patches
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2020, 02:32:20 PM »
as i've posted, if the consistent accuracy i'm getting is good, and there is no bbl leading, i could care less if the patch blows out the muzzle in charred pieces.

Trad Gang ~ Buffalo Rifles ~ TMA ~ NRA ~ NRA RSO ~ GOA ~ VCDL

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
Re: Blown patches
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2020, 10:59:16 AM »
as a follow up in the matter of patching balls, i believe that ...
  • the function of a projectile patch is to act as a mechanical barrier between the projectile and the barrel
  • the obturation of the projectile will force the patch to the walls of the bbl, as in the lands and grooves
  • the patching will "ride the rails" (twisted lands) of the rifling, thus imparting spin to the projectile
  • the patch needs to leave the projectile immediately as the patch and projectile leaves the bbl muzzle
  • the condition of the fired patch can be an indicator of how well the projectile performs, and if the bbl is in any manner compromised
in the case of a .45-70 paper patched bullet, it's perfectly normal, and in fact desired, that the paper patch will "confetti" upon exit of the muzzle.

« Last Edit: April 10, 2020, 10:59:36 AM by Rob DiStefano »
Trad Gang ~ Buffalo Rifles ~ TMA ~ NRA ~ NRA RSO ~ GOA ~ VCDL

Offline goingoldskool

« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2020, 09:23:07 PM »
That makes sense Rob. Thanks!

There's just a lot written about 'reading ' patches.  I loaded a .526 ball with Jean denim and it loaded without much trouble at all.  Tried a .530 with the same denim and it was all I could do to get it Seated!  Both patches looked the same, hence the question of if I had enough lube.   I think I might re-apply some on the denim to see if it makes it any easier to load.

Nice Video!

Rodd

Offline bldtrailer

« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2020, 12:14:08 AM »
 [ Invalid Attachment ]  Before lapping a the barrel with steal wool as Mr Dixon suggested and had some patches that looked like yours gato lube [ Invalid Attachment ]  after barrel lapping and switching to denim 10oz .020 and muton tallow lube  [ Invalid Attachment ]
and two years of trying different loads, powders, lubes , thicker patches and 1 broken ram rod
« Last Edit: April 25, 2020, 12:22:44 AM by bldtrailer »

Offline bldtrailer

« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2020, 12:23:46 AM »
 [ Invalid Attachment ]  [ Invalid Attachment ]  the 2 high are before sight adjustment(lowered the peep)
« Last Edit: April 25, 2020, 12:28:44 AM by bldtrailer »

Offline goingoldskool

« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2020, 09:08:31 AM »
Those are some FINE Groups!  That peep is a wonderful idea, as well.  When you 'lapped' your barrel with steel wool, did you just wrap some around a smaller jag and give it a few Strokes?

Thanks for the Pictures!
Rodd

Offline bldtrailer

« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2020, 09:55:28 AM »
I wrapped the wool around a brass .50 brush w gun oil on it  and started with 25 strokes working up & down from there (75-100) in between I checked/cleaned with a tight bore size jag and double patch (to see if it was still cutting the patches, holes near the lands) I change the wool twice and repeated till everything smoothed out (by feel and patches less cuts) JB paste will do the same just takes longer.

The other thing that seemed to help was loading with an under sized short starter/jag on ram rod. When I first built my short starters I used .45 brass It seemed to push patching into lands cutting on loading went to 9mm brass seemed to help. switched out the .50 jag on ram rod w .45 same effect (I still use .50 to clean at end of the day/ using the .45 for loading and wiping after every 5 shots when shooting for groups) thicker patching helps to went from .015-.018 to.020

Offline bldtrailer

« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2020, 09:57:39 AM »
cheap way to try a peep old dog lic [ Invalid Attachment ]  [ Invalid Attachment ]

Offline Yewbender

« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2020, 01:26:22 PM »
My buddy had Bobby Hoyt rebore a barrel. When at the range we checked the patch’s and could see very small cuts in the patch, 3 different spots. Other then that the patches were fine. Told him don’t bother with sighten in, just keep shooting and them cuts will go away after about 100 shots. The look on his face was priceless! Told me he was buy’n some scotch brite pads and go to town on the barrel to remove the sharp edges. It worked as no more cut patches. Don’t remember the total number of passes but he said it was a workout!

Offline Yewbender

« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2020, 01:28:18 PM »
Don’t know how my reply ended up here??? That was for the Blown patch thread.

Offline Yewbender

« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2020, 01:30:53 PM »
My bad, right thred. I guess i shouldn’t sip moonshine and post at the same time LOL!!!

Online doc nock

• BPG Member
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2020, 01:39:53 PM »
MOONShine in Pa?  Man you lived somewhere different then me when I lived up there...

When I got my GPR, I too would find a few patches at our POS club range, and some were cut/blown?

I used JB bore stuff and did a tight patch at least 100 times...I've not shot much since to find out if it helped...I might have to try the Steel wool and JB again...just for something to do without moonshine! :):) ;D