For smartphone and tablet users, a BPGang mobile theme is available ....

CLICK HERE

Author Topic: New to cap and ball  (Read 189 times)

Offline Howard

New to cap and ball
« on: March 01, 2020, 05:16:56 PM »
I just bought a used Traditional 50 cal. and have shot it about 20 times. I am shooting 490 balls with a 0.008 patch and shoots dead on at 40 yrds. Is 0.008 patch to thin or shoot I use thicker patches? It loads real nice and you don't need a hammer to load.
Thanks

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
Re: New to cap and ball
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2020, 05:30:47 PM »
welcome to bpgang  :wavey:

can't argue much if yer getting good accuracy, but some things come to mind ...

1. what's the condition of the fired patches?  this will tell a lot about patch gas sealing effectiveness.

2. what patch lube are you using?

3. what powder are you using?

4. do you address fouling control between each shot, or some shots, or never?

5. do you know that the breech is a patent ante-chamber that will require special cleaning?

Trad Gang ~ Buffalo Rifles ~ TMA ~ NRA ~ NRA RSO ~ GOA ~ VCDL

Offline Howard

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2020, 06:41:38 PM »
Thanks Rob, I was using dry patches, 30 grn Triple 7 and I cleaned it good before shooting and again after 20 shots. I don't know anything about special cleaning of the ante-chamber. Can you elaborate on cleaning please? Thanks

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2020, 07:04:14 PM »
i would expect those .008" dry patches to be burnt to hell ... ?

it's hard to argue if yer getting consistently excellent accuracy, so nothing i can add to yer loading process.  however, i would do a totally different load process that includes real black powder, .490 balls and grease lubed .015 patches (no hammer or ball starter needed), but that's just my kinda trad ml fun.

the snail/bolster screws into the ante-chamber, which has a flue that's under bore size and leads to the bore sized chamber.  if yer using a jagged patch or brush to clean the tube, it'll never get into the flue of the ante-chamber, which will require a .22 to .30 bronze brush draped with a patch.

there are MANY different iterations of the "patent breech plug", this is but one ...

other patent breeches ...

Offline Howard

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2020, 09:56:59 AM »
Thanks, I canít find 0.15 without ordering them and paying shipping.

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2020, 11:02:33 AM »
all actual patch material thickness needs to be taken with a box of salt because how thickness is measured, and the amount of micrometer compression used, can vary greatly.  most will find getting pure cotton or linen cloth at a fabric store (such as joann's, online) is not only best, it's cheapest too. 

currently i use joann's red stripe pillow ticking that has a nominal .014" or so thickness.  i cast .530 balls using a lee mold. 

patch strips are lubed with "gato feo" that i mix up double boiler style and after cooling are cut into cakes that are used to rub into the 2"x16" patch strips, then the lube is heated to the fabric weave with a heat gun or hair dryer. 

patches are cut off at the muzzle (or used with a ball board to speed loading during matches).

if yer gun has good consistent accuracy, there's no need to be concerned about your powder charge, ball diameter, patch thickness.  however, i would be concerned about using dry patches.  at the very least, use a spit patch (but don't leave it in the gun for any length of time) or make yer own lube or rub in some commercial concoction.  patch lube is important.

Offline Howard

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2020, 05:11:10 PM »
Does anyone blow down the barrel after shooting?

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2020, 05:21:34 PM »
Does anyone blow down the barrel after shooting?

only those who are smart and very safety conscious - that leaves out all of the NMLRA.

http://bwanabob.info/page2.html

Online doc nock

• BPG Member
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2020, 06:32:07 PM »
Do we think Rob has issues with the NMLRA leadership? :):) ;D

Rob has often mentioned that blowing down the barrel keeps the Crud softer...

I just watched, Quigley for the umpteenth time and even he blew in the breech of his 45-110

Offline Tajue17

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2020, 08:11:26 AM »
my father told me to always do this, it does gather some funny looks from the in-line folks.
"Us vs Them"

Online goingoldskool

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2020, 12:48:22 PM »
As the article Rob posted said.... . You see the smoke come out of the vent and KNOW that there is nothing obstructing the next firing sequence.   Peace of mind is a wonderful thing!!!!!

Welcome to the Gang!

Good luck,  shoot straight and God bless,
Rodd

Online Yewbender

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2020, 10:18:21 PM »
Welcome Howard!

Listen to Rob cause the man is a wealth of knowledge and will not steer you wrong!

I would also go the .015 ticking with lube which might just shoot better. For now i would lube you .008  cause im sure your patches have a big hole from catching on fire...which leads to another thing...you donít want to start a  field or forest fire when itís dry out. If you donít have any lube you can use good old spit...though i sight my flinters in with mink oil. For most of my shooting after that...copenhagen wintergreen flavored spit is what i use. I think The lil tabacco particals left on the ticking make my load more accurate ;D