For smartphone and tablet users, a BPGang mobile theme is available ....

CLICK HERE

Author Topic: .45 Cal, has anyone had any luck with sabots, buffalo bullets, min/maxi balls  (Read 299 times)

Online Jeff McCarthy

Barrel would be a .45 Cal Colerain with 1 in 56 twist.  I'm looking to shoot a heavier bullet instead of a roundball. Anyone had any success with this? Thanks 
« Last Edit: February 20, 2020, 12:39:00 AM by Jeff McCarthy »

Online doc nock

• BPG Member
Not a great testament, but that twist sounds slow to this unwashed neophyte...

Back in the day, up home we had T/C Renegades and Hawkens with 1:48 and when PA moved to allowing conicals from PRbs, those CVA power belts shot super well from the 1:48...they were in the 250-300 range for 50 cal

Online Jeff McCarthy

Hi Doc, I hope your doing well. I was thinking it would only shoot roundballs well but Scott from Colerain make me think different now. Here's what he had to say today. ( If it is standard rifling, and I assume it is, then round balls, LEE R.E.A.L.ís will work well. Sabotís should with some experimenting with different bullets.) That gives me some hope and may also make me buy a rifle that I'm crazy about but don't need.

Online Yewbender

Hi Jeff, I donít have a .45cal and only shoot PRBís in my flinters so no help from me. With that said if you shoot mini/maxi, buffalo, or sabots you will need to use a cleaning method that will remove lead or plastic fowling from the barrel...just saying.

Online doc nock

• BPG Member
Jeff,,

One of our resident scratch builders has stated he used "gain rifling" which ITHINK (?) he described that it gets faster as it goes...

I used some R.E.A.Ls in my 50 GPR...the 325s sucked in stereo... a kid from MO came to visit and brought some 250s that were nearly as long as fat...they shot nearly the same as the RBs, FWIW

Online Jeff McCarthy

That's all helpful information guy's. The cleaning of plastic or lead adds another twist to this also.

Online doc nock

• BPG Member
Someone did mention if I used the longer REALs I might have to drive them faster in the 1:60 twist but it didn't seem to help... the shorter fat 250s in REAL / 50 cal seemed to print right with RBs...

Course, all bets are OFF with my eyes and iron sights anymore...

Some of us age better then others... :o

Online Jeff McCarthy

Thanks Doc, I had read before that the shorter in length bullets are more likely to print with the roundballs also. I'd say that's the answer.

Online doc nock

• BPG Member
Jeff,

Not sure thanks is due...haven't tested that THEORY... I know when PA went to Any bullet for deer, a LOT of guys got faster twist BBLs for their favorite BP guns

Online bldtrailer

Ok this is a little left field BUT Colerain makes a "Gain Twist/rifled  barrels " I found out about them when I visited Cabin Creek Muzzle loaders shop in York pa( Brad tuned my locks)  the barrel starts at the breach at 1-96 and is 1-48 at the muzzle. Brad stated that during testing it was found to shoot patched round ball as well or better than slow twist BUT it really shoots a longer conical Very well! 
So if not out of the price range a new Gain twist/rifled  barrel( one for a new build)

(The current issue of "Muzzleloader" magazine contains a terrific 14 page article on Brad Emig, with outstanding color photos of his rifles, knives, etc.) Cabin Creek muzzle loaders They have a web site :)

Online Jeff McCarthy

Thanks bldtrailer, I'll check them out.

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
conicals require faster rifling twist rates, typically 1:32 or lots faster.  this would be no different than, for example, a .45-70 cartridge rifle that typically employs a 1:18 twist rate to stabilize a 500 grain bullet.  there are many other dependencies, such as the projectile diameter versus length, powder type and charge weight/volume.  lots of offshore trad ml's use a "compromise twist" of 1:48 which is just that, a compromise and will typically not work as efficiently well for ball or bullet as would slower or faster twist rates.  patched balls prefer 1:60 to 1:72 slow twist for maximum accuracy at all sane shooting distances.  this is why a great plains hunter cap lock has a 1:32 twist and a great plains rifle flinter has a 1:60 twist.
Trad Gang ~ Buffalo Rifles ~ TMA ~ NRA ~ NRA RSO ~ GOA ~ VCDL