For smartphone and tablet users, a BPGang mobile theme is available ....

CLICK HERE

Author Topic: Used Powder Horn  (Read 247 times)

Offline rakane

Used Powder Horn
« on: January 17, 2020, 03:03:09 PM »
I was given this horn when I bought a used TC .50 percussion.

I'd like to add a sort of spout so I don't spill powder when pouring into a measure.

I think I'll try to rasp out the neck a bit, deep into the horn to not disturb the plug fit.  The plug is tight, turn to the left to loosen.  The plug hole is 5/8".

Any ideas on what brass I can use to install a spout?  Are there parts available?

Randy

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: January 17, 2020, 03:12:36 PM by rakane »

Online doc nock

• BPG Member
Re: Used Powder Horn
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2020, 03:09:35 PM »
While it sometimes goes a few days between posts here, there are several fine "horn-smiths" on this board who've done great work...I'm not among them...  :( So I'll encourage you to keep checking back to find suggestions...

I had one gifted to me but mine would appear to have had much more of the "tip" left on the horn, FWIW, but I'm sure there are many fixes....some more traditional then others...

Offline rakane

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2020, 03:18:08 PM »
Thanks for the response.  I was watching a Youtube when you posted.  I found a .5" nozzle that might work on the bay, brass.  I'd be more inclined to file and rasp it to my own shape if the hole was centered.  I've made a tobacco pipe from a pre-drilled blank but that was well centered.

I'll post a photo if I jump into it.

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2020, 06:31:30 PM »
that badly mangled horn can be salvaged with a bunch work.  lots of options, like a new snout made out of another horn or carved block of wood.  but there's a heckuva lotta effort to make it serviceable and functional as opposed to just starting out with a proper horn.  but it could be a looong winter's project ..... 
Trad Gang ~ Buffalo Rifles ~ TMA ~ NRA ~ NRA RSO ~ GOA ~ VCDL

Offline rakane

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2020, 07:54:35 PM »
Rob, Thanks for the bit of sage wisdom.  I think I'd rather start over and screw up my own effort.

I found your posts on making a horn, and lots of videos.  I think I'll grab a fresh polished horn and start new.

Thanks.

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2020, 08:05:35 PM »
i think that's a wise move.  there is no question that yer horn could be made whole again, but that would take a heckuva lotta work and craftsmanship, and it would have a "unique look"  ;D
Trad Gang ~ Buffalo Rifles ~ TMA ~ NRA ~ NRA RSO ~ GOA ~ VCDL

Online vtmtnman

• Mountain member
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2020, 11:57:45 AM »
I'd definitely agree with Rob.After you get a few horns made you'll have the know how to attack that and get it serviceable.That'd probably be a good canidate for a threaded bone or antler tip.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2020, 11:58:16 AM by vtmtnman »