If it loads and shoots with Black Powder ~ muzzle or cartridge ~ y'all come to the right place!

** BPGang Forum Rules **

For smartphone and tablet users, a BPGang mobile theme is available!

Author Topic: CVA bolster/nipple issue  (Read 363 times)

Offline kaiserandloki

CVA bolster/nipple issue
« on: January 04, 2020, 07:36:50 PM »
Hello gents. I have a fairly old CVA Hawken that has had the nipple blown out of the bolster. I bought a new nipple and shot the rifle a few times. Unfortunately it blew the nipple off after several shots. So Iím wondering what yíall think the best fix is. Iím thinking that just buying a new bolster is the trick. My guess is that the threads are too damaged to hold the nipple securely. Before you ask, I was not using a heavy charge. Only 70 grains of pyrodex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
Re: CVA bolster/nipple issue
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2020, 07:46:48 PM »
hello kaiserandloki (or whatever yer real name is),

welcome to bpgang.

yes, time to change the boltser/snail - if ya can get it out, that's gonna be yer chore.

when, and if ya do, install the new bolster, and the new nipple, with anti-seize grease (cheap - peramtex, $5).  this chore will save lots of grief down the road with yer gun.

if at all possible, try real black powder and not that smokeless substitute.

good luck with yer governor blackface this wednesday.  i'm a VCDL supporter and feel yer pain.

r.
Trad Gang ~ Buffalo Rifles ~ TMA ~ NRA ~ NRA RSO ~ GOA ~ VCDL

Offline kaiserandloki

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2020, 08:20:48 PM »
Like that screen name? To be honest Iím not entirely sure how I got it. Tapatalk decided it for me based on my e-mail address.[emoji849]

Offline kaiserandloki

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2020, 08:41:36 PM »
By the way, Iíve been keeping up with this site since it went live. Iím starting to gravitate back to traditional muzzleloading. Iíve hunted with modern rifles and MLís for years, but Iíve become bored. It just got too easy to kill a deer. Iím looking to inject some new excitement into hunting. It worked when I switched from compounds to recurves, so I donít see why it wonít work here as well.

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2020, 06:29:02 AM »
Like that screen name? To be honest Iím not entirely sure how I got it. Tapatalk decided it for me based on my e-mail address.[emoji849]

my point is that we specifically ask and require during this forum's registration to list your real first and last name in your profile rather than hide behind a pseudo screen name.  entering a bogus name in those fields doesn't make us all warm and fuzzy about a new member.  we kinda think of this site as 'family' of sorts.  yer name is your calling card, yer honor, and should be shown to all. 
Trad Gang ~ Buffalo Rifles ~ TMA ~ NRA ~ NRA RSO ~ GOA ~ VCDL

Offline kaiserandloki

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2020, 11:43:28 AM »

my point is that we specifically ask and require during this forum's registration to list your real first and last name in your profile rather than hide behind a pseudo screen name.  entering a bogus name in those fields doesn't make us all warm and fuzzy about a new member.  we kinda think of this site as 'family' of sorts.  yer name is your calling card, yer honor, and should be shown to all.
I donít recall it being a required field or I would have done it. Not saying youíre lying or donít know what youíre talking about, but I am saying that you have a hole that needs to be plugged. I wasnít trying to hide, Jason Wilson is my name, but I didnít know. A straight forward request for me to do something will get results. Vague hints/remarks do nothing.

If youíre going to be stupid, youíd better be tough!

Online doc nock

• BPG Member
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2020, 11:50:57 AM »
Jason, you have mail on your gmail account... :)