For smartphone and tablet users, a BPGang mobile theme is available ....

CLICK HERE

Author Topic: 36 cal maxi ball from track of the wolf  (Read 594 times)

Offline KAMU

36 cal maxi ball from track of the wolf
« on: December 09, 2019, 01:42:19 PM »
Anyone got any info they want to share. Iíve always shot prbís and never shot a maxi ball. Bottom line here in South Carolina we can shoot pigs when hunting small game so I thought a little 125 grain maxi ball would work great in little meat hogs. Any info would be great. Heading to the range next weekend thinking 60 grains of fff would get that sucker moving.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
Re: 36 cal maxi ball from track of the wolf
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2019, 01:55:05 PM »
$9.29 + shipping is a lotta loot for just 20 of those bullets. 

and you'll need to supply yer own lube, to boot.

too bad they aren't offering the mould .... yet.

how they'd shoot out of whatever twist rifling, and the resulting accuracy, will take some necessary testing, i'd expect.
Trad Gang ~ Buffalo Rifles ~ TMA ~ NRA ~ NRA RSO ~ GOA ~ VCDL

Offline KAMU

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2019, 02:55:13 PM »
I for got the barrel is 1-48 twist

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2019, 03:04:35 PM »
that's a jack-of-all-trades twist and will work to at least a fair degree with a lubed bullet, as opposed to a patched ball.
Trad Gang ~ Buffalo Rifles ~ TMA ~ NRA ~ NRA RSO ~ GOA ~ VCDL

Online Monterey

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2019, 06:49:42 PM »
Anyone got any info they want to share. Iíve always shot prbís and never shot a maxi ball. Bottom line here in South Carolina we can shoot pigs when hunting small game so I thought a little 125 grain maxi ball would work great in little meat hogs. Any info would be great. Heading to the range next weekend thinking 60 grains of fff would get that sucker moving.

I'm hoping those work for you but am a little bit doubtful.  As projectile diameter decreases the twist needed to stabilize it typically increases.  Thats because Maintaining weight in the bullet usually means the bullet is longer in ratio to it's diameter.  But the 125 may be a fairly short projectile.  Looking forward to seeing the results.  I agree that a 125 maxi would make a dandy bullet for a 36.
Mike Lee