Black Powder Gang is all about the firearms, and their times and people,
that use "black powder" (known back in the day as "gun powder")
as the propellant for muzzleloading and cartridge guns of the 18th and 19th centuries.

Friends of the Gun
About Traditional Muzzleloaders

19th Century Single Shot Cartridge Rifles

Loading Black Powder
Paper Patched Bullet Cartridges
Snapshots of the Past

The American Sharps Shooters

The Denny Ducet Muzzleloader
Video Library

Author Topic: Old rifle back in service  (Read 83 times)

Offline okawbow

Old rifle back in service
« on: November 29, 2019, 07:35:51 PM »
I dug out an old longrifle I made in 1974, when I was 20 years old. It was the second muzzleloader I made. I used a .45 cal. Douglas barrel, 44” long, and 7/8” across the flats. I made the stock from a board, and also made the ramrod pipes, sights, trigger, and inlays. The lock was a Spanish made flintlock that never really worked well enough. I carried the gun deer hunting a couple times, but never took one with it.

A few days ago, I converted the lock to percussion, using an old hammer I had, and a drum I made on the lathe. It works like it should and shoots a tight group at 50 yards. I plan to try and take a deer in the Illinois muzzleloader season with it. Not the prettiest rifle I ever made, but it will finally get the chance to do what it was made to do. [ Invalid Attachment ]  [ Invalid Attachment ]  [ Invalid Attachment ]

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
Re: Old rifle back in service
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2019, 07:41:47 PM »
rugged yet purty!   :thumbs:  :thumbs:

Online doc nock

• BPG Member
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2019, 08:37:04 PM »
You could nickname that one the PHOENIX... it rose from the past to life again! :)

IF'n you did that stock from a board, I'd say you did pretty well...

Don't know nuttin bout' no cap locks but if it shoots good then Best of Luck!  :thumbs:

Offline okawbow

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2019, 09:00:46 AM »
I’ve felt guilty for over 40 years, when I see that old rifle in the corner just waiting to be used. It probably has fewer than 100 shots through it, as I was building guns one after the other at that time. I would shoot the new gun a while until the next one was finished. Shortly after I made this rifle, I made a short, light .54 caliber flintlock with a good Siler lock. That has been my go-to rifle for deer hunting in the muzzleloader season for over 40 years.

Illinois has a minimum caliber of .44 for a muzzleloader projectile. The other day I shot this rifle with 70 grains 2F Old Eynsford. It shot a couple inches high at 50 yards, but put every shot inside a silver dollar sized group. I’m looking to take a doe with it, as my hunting area has a surplus. I also have a 12 acre piece of land I own that I have never killed a deer on. I have been allowing most of it to grow wild, and there are several deer using it full time now.

Online doc nock

• BPG Member
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2019, 09:28:39 AM »
There are numerous people here with knowledge, patience, tools etc who build fine, fine looking guns... :thumbs:

Shot placement usually trumps a lot, but .45 is on the low end...I can see why you'd like the .54... The sound of a .50 brings honkin big bullet images but I've shot a few deer years back and a .50 RB wasn't impressive... but in the effective range, a .45 should "git er done"...

Best of luck on your quest!

Online goingoldskool

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2019, 04:23:22 PM »
I'm with Doc on this..... if you made that stock from a board, you DID REAL GOOD!  Lots of people on here and other forums that routinely take deer with .45s.... 
Also as Doc said. ... shot placement trumps cal size.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Offline 30coupe

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2019, 09:26:24 PM »
I dug out an old longrifle I made in 1974, when I was 20 years old. It was the second muzzleloader I made. I used a .45 cal. Douglas barrel, 44” long, and 7/8” across the flats. I made the stock from a board, and also made the ramrod pipes, sights, trigger, and inlays. The lock was a Spanish made flintlock that never really worked well enough. I carried the gun deer hunting a couple times, but never took one with it.

Dang, man! I'd like to know where you found that board! That's got some nice grain to it, not to mention some darn good workmanship, especially for your second build! Glad to see you're putting her back in service.

Offline okawbow

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2019, 10:18:44 PM »
[/quote]

Dang, man! I'd like to know where you found that board! That's got some nice grain to it, not to mention some darn good workmanship, especially for your second build! Glad to see you're putting her back in service.
[/quote]

Not knowing any better; I expected to find some curly maple at a local sawmill in Fayette County Illinois. Well, the sawyer said he had some hard maple bridge planks someone had sawed a couple years earlier, and never picked up. I could have one for $10 if I restacked the pile. I found a nice board and used it for that rifle and 20 years later, started a Bedford Co. rifle that too k 15 years to finish. Here it is.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2019, 10:30:54 PM by okawbow »

Online doc nock

• BPG Member
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2019, 01:19:51 PM »
Nice... I'd think that hard maple be hard to work... but you did a fine job...

BACK in the day, you could find people willing to deal like that... Some still around, not many me thinks... ???