Black Powder Gang is all about the firearms, and their times and people,
that use "black powder" (known back in the day as "gun powder")
as the propellant for muzzleloading and cartridge guns of the 18th and 19th centuries.
Tapatalk has been added to BPGang for all mobile phone users!
About Traditional Muzzleloaders

19th Century Single Shot Cartridge Rifles

Loading Black Powder
Paper Patched Bullet Cartridges
Snapshots of the Past

The American Sharps Shooters

The Denny Ducet Muzzleloader
Video Library

Author Topic: Strip patch width for small balls (36 for instance)  (Read 258 times)

Online doc nock

• BPG Member
Strip patch width for small balls (36 for instance)
« on: April 21, 2019, 11:53:33 AM »
So...for those of you who shoot lubed strips and cut at the muzzle--- how wide do you make your strips for say the smaller balls like 36 caliber?

The ones used for 50/54 caliber tend to leave too much material on the sides so it laps over and doesn't make a nice patch...the "tails" are easily cut flush with the ball below the muzzle, but the sides on wider patches is hard to guage...

So, how wide do you smaller ball guys who shoot like.36 make your strips?

Online doc nock

• BPG Member
Re: Strip patch width for small balls (36 for instance)
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2019, 12:30:02 PM »
Just to be clear--- does the extra material on the sides of the balls that fold over the front (sprue end) do anything to compromise accuracy?

Offline Yewbender

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2019, 03:54:58 PM »
David, I hope allís well and good.

I have a good supply of pillow ticking and not the precut strips. That way i can cut strips for less waste.

I just happen to shoot a .36 cal flinter. I make my patches about 1 1/4 wide(7 stripeís). If you want even less waste use a strip about 5 stripes. With the wider strip you donít have to be as percise when centering the ball on the patch because of more material. I always cut at the muzzle which leaves me a lil patching in front but not covering the ball. And my .36 is a tack driver!

Online doc nock

• BPG Member
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2019, 05:00:20 PM »
Thanks, Yew...

That teeny ball can be pushed down and cut clean on the tag ends, it's just that the wider strips also used for 50/54's tend to overlap on the sides and I was most curious if it causes any accuracy issues with the extra material on the sides or should one cut the strips more narrow?

Just kinda nice to have one set of strip rolls for all calibers if it doesn't affect accuracy

Online goingoldskool

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2019, 05:24:07 PM »
 And my .36 is a tack driver!
[/quote]

There's the answer...... at least for Yew!!!!  Thanks for the input. It started out as my question that I emailed Doc about and he brought it to the forum to pick the brains of folks that have MUCH more experience than I. I just need to spend time with it and see for myself if there's a problem with excess patch over the front of the ball.

Thanks again for the reply!
Rodd

Offline Yewbender

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2019, 05:40:07 PM »
Your welcome Gentís.