For smartphone and tablet users, a BPGang mobile theme is available ....

CLICK HERE

Author Topic: ball smacker and tapered ramrod  (Read 324 times)

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
ball smacker and tapered ramrod
« on: June 27, 2019, 04:47:47 PM »
i cut off the business end of a 3/8" brass ferrule and stuck it in a piece of hardwood.  i used that to smack down a .526 ball wrapped in .015 cloth.  it worked well as a test.  then i drilled into my patch knife handle and epoxied in the "ball smacker".

[ Invalid Attachment ]

the ramrod i used yesterday was 3/8" diameter aspen, with a 3/8" ferrule at the jag end ...

[ Invalid Attachment ]

... and a 5/16" ferrule at the ramming end.  this smaller ferrule makes it easy to insert that end into the stock's rod hole, and its end is concave for pushing a patched ball down the tube.  no need to fiip the rod for ball ramming, it's just an up down thing.  I tapered the rod to blend in with that smaller ferrule.  both ferrules are epoxied in as well as brass pinned.  the smaller end also has a hole that will allow inserting a nail for hand leverage or for a cord for dry ball pulling.

[ Invalid Attachment ]
Trad Gang ~ Buffalo Rifles ~ TMA ~ NRA ~ NRA RSO ~ GOA ~ VCDL

Online doc nock

• BPG Member
Re: ball smacker and tapered ramrod
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2019, 08:57:09 PM »
Tricky... looks pretty slick...

You've shared here that you like to thumb load but if you get better groups with a slightly tighter patch, without having to hammer one home, I'd say that is worth while project

Online goingoldskool

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2019, 10:12:42 PM »
I like the addition to the knife handle! As long as it doesn't grab your finger when you're using it as a knife!!!  The straight up and down seating the ball does save time.

Nice work!

Offline Tony Van Dort

• BPG Member
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2019, 07:30:29 AM »
That's cool!    :wavey: