Black Powder Gang is all about the firearms, and their times and people,
that use "black powder" (known back in the day as "gun powder")
as the propellant for muzzleloading and cartridge guns of the 18th and 19th centuries.

Friends of the Gun
About Traditional Muzzleloaders

19th Century Single Shot Cartridge Rifles

Loading Black Powder
Paper Patched Bullet Cartridges
Snapshots of the Past

The American Sharps Shooters

The Denny Ducet Muzzleloader
Video Library

Author Topic: ball smacker and tapered ramrod  (Read 217 times)

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
ball smacker and tapered ramrod
« on: June 27, 2019, 04:47:47 PM »
i cut off the business end of a 3/8" brass ferrule and stuck it in a piece of hardwood.  i used that to smack down a .526 ball wrapped in .015 cloth.  it worked well as a test.  then i drilled into my patch knife handle and epoxied in the "ball smacker".

[ Invalid Attachment ]

the ramrod i used yesterday was 3/8" diameter aspen, with a 3/8" ferrule at the jag end ...

[ Invalid Attachment ]

... and a 5/16" ferrule at the ramming end.  this smaller ferrule makes it easy to insert that end into the stock's rod hole, and its end is concave for pushing a patched ball down the tube.  no need to fiip the rod for ball ramming, it's just an up down thing.  I tapered the rod to blend in with that smaller ferrule.  both ferrules are epoxied in as well as brass pinned.  the smaller end also has a hole that will allow inserting a nail for hand leverage or for a cord for dry ball pulling.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Online doc nock

• BPG Member
Re: ball smacker and tapered ramrod
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2019, 08:57:09 PM »
Tricky... looks pretty slick...

You've shared here that you like to thumb load but if you get better groups with a slightly tighter patch, without having to hammer one home, I'd say that is worth while project

Online goingoldskool

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2019, 10:12:42 PM »
I like the addition to the knife handle! As long as it doesn't grab your finger when you're using it as a knife!!!  The straight up and down seating the ball does save time.

Nice work!

Online Tony Van Dort

• BPG Member
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2019, 07:30:29 AM »
That's cool!    :wavey: