Black Powder Gang is all about the firearms, and their times and people,
that use "black powder" (known back in the day as "gun powder")
as the propellant for muzzleloading and cartridge guns of the 18th and 19th centuries.

Friends of the Gun
About Traditional Muzzleloaders

19th Century Single Shot Cartridge Rifles

Loading Black Powder
Paper Patched Bullet Cartridges
Snapshots of the Past

The American Sharps Shooters

The Denny Ducet Muzzleloader
Video Library

Author Topic: Customized CRKT tomahawk.  (Read 445 times)

Offline Shiloh1944

Customized CRKT tomahawk.
« on: April 12, 2019, 11:38:27 AM »
I purchased a Columbia River Knife & Tool (CRKT) tomahawk to customize. It is made from the same steel Cold Steel hawks are which is 1055 carbon tool steel. The good thing about the CRKT hawk is that it does not have a set screw as do both the Cold Steel and Condor hawks do. It is however a heavier hawk than the Cold Steel and I think even heavier than the Condor. The CRKT is a little more expensive to purchase than Cold Steels but not as expensive as the Condors. This CRKT is one of my favorites I have done, and I wanted it to have a really nice looking haft so I purchased one made of curly Hickory. I didn’t even know there was such a thing as curly Hickory. I will confess the haft cost me as much as the hawk, so it doubled the price I paid and put it over what I paid for the Condor I previously posted about, but in my estimation, it is still a bargain. To have a custom hawk made of good quality tool steel by a custom maker would be quite expensive. There is just too much work that goes into them. Back several years ago I customized and sold on line about 14 Cold Steel hawks and made enough money to purchase a Shiloh Sharps rifle which was my goal. I no longer make them to sell but just do them as a hobby and for my personal collection.

Here are some photos of the CRKT hawk before, during, and after the customizing process.

« Last Edit: April 21, 2019, 03:04:56 PM by Shiloh1944 »

Offline Longhunter

Re: Customized CRKT tomahawk.
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2019, 07:36:40 AM »
Excellent transformation  :thumbs:

Online goingoldskool

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2019, 08:06:00 PM »
Looks good!

Offline vtmtnman

• Mountain member
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2019, 02:08:55 PM »
Great work.I customized a Cold steel hawk but was looking at the CRKT hawks as well.

Offline Shiloh1944

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2019, 02:46:37 PM »
Great work.I customized a Cold steel hawk but was looking at the CRKT hawks as well.

Thanks guys for the kind remarks. I have done numerous Cold Steels and really like them for customizing. I also purchased a Condor and customized it. I did a previous post about it. I don't like the fact that Condor stamps their makers mark very deeply into the hawk bit face. You cannot do a good customizing job unless you weld up the makers marks and they are also quite a bit more expensive than Cold Steels.

I really like the CRKT hawks and think the one I did has become my favorite hawk. They are heavier than Cold Steels and don't have the set screw. I still like the Cold Steel hammer pole pipe hawk the best of all the Cold Steel hawks.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2019, 03:16:00 PM by Shiloh1944 »