Black Powder Gang is all about the firearms, and their times and people,
that use "black powder" (known in the 18th and 19th centuries as "gun powder")
as the propellant in both muzzleloading and cartridge guns.
About Traditional Muzzleloaders

19th Century Single Shot Cartridge Rifles

Loading Black Powder
Paper Patched Bullet Cartridges
Snapshots of the Past

The American Sharps Shooters

The Denny Ducet Muzzleloader
Video Library

Author Topic: Odd turkey load  (Read 53 times)

Offline Longhunter

Odd turkey load
« on: April 11, 2019, 09:43:52 AM »
Some time back there was talk on a couple other muzzleloading forums about an odd  shot load that improved your shot pattern. It was loosely referred to as a Skychief load. The reason it's an odd load is because instead of the fiber wad being behind the shot it was loaded IN FRONT of the shot.

Whatever your combination of powder to shot doesn't really seem to matter, the key is to load the fiber wad soaked in olive oil or cooking oil last on top of the shot. Why it tightens your shot pattern I don't know but this last weekend I got a chance to try it and I was pleased and surprised at the results.

I've always liked to load my smoothbore with 80gr's of 2FF, over powder card, 90gr's of #5 shot then over shot card. I use to load a fiber wad behind the shot but stopped doing that because it was said the wad would blow a hole in your shot pattern. This time I loaded my same load but I pushed a oil soaked fiber wad down to top it off. My smooth bore is a 16ga Fusil Fine with a 46" cylinder bore barrel, at 25 yds this was my pattern. I'm sure I can kill a turkey out to 30yds, I'll do more testing before the season opens later this month.

[ Invalid Attachment ]    

Offline Keith Zimmerman

Re: Odd turkey load
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2019, 08:20:44 PM »
That pattern looks great.  I always use wasp nest under and over my shot.  Seems to work well.

Online dhaverstick

• High-tech hillbilly
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2019, 07:26:53 AM »
I've read several posts about that Sky Chief load and all seemed to be positive about it. I had better luck using paper shot cups in my 12 gauge cylinder bore. The best thing I did, though, to tighten up my pattern for turkeys was get one of the 20 gauge Colerain turkey barrels. Man, does it throw a tight pattern!

Darren

Offline Longhunter

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2019, 09:38:24 AM »
[ The best thing I did, though, to tighten up my pattern for turkeys was get one of the 20 gauge Colerain turkey barrels. Man, does it throw a tight pattern!
/quote]

They say you can't shoot round ball in them.

Online Steve O

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2019, 05:28:55 PM »
Any chance you could post a pic of the wads and card used?

Online Yewbender

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2019, 06:38:39 PM »
Iím sure you will kill one with that Ron :thumbs:

I have a .62 Fowler and it took me some time to find a tight pattern for my smoothie. No turkey barrel or jug choke. I tried several comboís which never held a tight pattern or a consistent one at that. So i did a lil searching and found two things on getting a tight pattern. One was V.M. Starr and Danny Caywood. So to get to the point, anything behind the load of shot that is heavier then an individual piece of shot your pattern will open up. So i gave it a try at 25yrds and boy was i surprised!

My load was 75gr 2F, 4 over shot cards, 1 1/8oz #5ís, and one over shot card. At 25yrds i could put 40ish pellets in a 10 or 12Ē circle(i forget what i used). If i used 1 1/4oz of #5ís it went to about 50ish pellets. I shot many more times and was able to keep a consistent pattern shot after shot as long as my aim was consistent. Now the only problem i had when doing this was very low humidity. I used no lubed wads or any lube at all. The fowling was hard as heck but i didnít care because of the pattern i was getting. Hopefully this spring i get to find out how good this load really is on a Jelly Neck!