Black Powder Gang is all about the firearms, and their times and people,
that use "black powder" (known back in the day as "gun powder")
as the propellant for muzzleloading and cartridge guns of the 18th and 19th centuries.
Tapatalk has been added to BPGang for all mobile phone users!
About Traditional Muzzleloaders

19th Century Single Shot Cartridge Rifles

Loading Black Powder
Paper Patched Bullet Cartridges
Snapshots of the Past

The American Sharps Shooters

The Denny Ducet Muzzleloader
Video Library

Author Topic: Old Smoke 6  (Read 283 times)

Online lone hunter

Old Smoke 6
« on: April 06, 2019, 10:29:07 AM »
Turkey season starts here in a week or so. The box call is in the pic for a friends benefit.  I can't use one for a lick. When I use one to say "come a little closer" the turkeys hear "run it's that old fool again".  Have more fun just listening for them and then try to set up in their line of travel. Good luck to those going after them this Spring.
 [ Invalid Attachment ]

Online doc nock

• BPG Member
Re: Old Smoke 6
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2019, 10:57:17 AM »
I had a friend up home who got his bird very regularly in our one-bird state/year!

He claimed he quit using dekes for reasons similar to your call experiences.  He had shared that once he had a HUGE ole tom come in to 75 yards, spot the hen deke, sat right down there on his butt and then gobbled his head off, waiting for her to come to him as is natural, so they say!

He never carried a decoy again... Hed set up where it was a bit thick and let them come hunting him (the proffered hen) but he did use mouth calls... I called in a couple already but without a deke out, they turned, lost interest and sauntered away....

To hear my friend tell that story about the big Tom sitting on his haunches to wait will long be with me...he made it sound pretty funny

Online lone hunter

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2019, 10:21:34 PM »
I hunt mostly in the afternoons to dusk.  From my porch I can listen to them on the hill across from me.  I listen to them a couple days to get their pattern and then try to intercept.   
I hunt turkeys like I am around the wife...keep my mouth shut and try to stay hidden. :thumbs:

Online doc nock

• BPG Member
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2019, 07:10:27 AM »

I hunt turkeys like I am around the wife...keep my mouth shut and try to stay hidden. :thumbs:

you best hope she never finds this site! :):):)

Offline Longhunter

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2019, 10:46:56 PM »
Turkey season starts here in a week or so. The box call is in the pic for a friends benefit.  I can't use one for a lick. When I use one to say "come a little closer" the turkeys hear "run it's that old fool again".  Have more fun just listening for them and then try to set up in their line of travel. Good luck to those going after them this Spring.

Try a slate call. Make circles on it and it sounds just like a hen clucking.

Online lone hunter

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2019, 09:11:12 AM »
Thanks Ron, I'll give it a try.