Black Powder Gang is all about the firearms, and their times and people,
that use "black powder" (known back in the day as "gun powder")
as the propellant for muzzleloading and cartridge guns of the 18th and 19th centuries.
Tapatalk has been added to BPGang for all mobile phone users!
About Traditional Muzzleloaders

19th Century Single Shot Cartridge Rifles

Loading Black Powder
Paper Patched Bullet Cartridges
Snapshots of the Past

The American Sharps Shooters

The Denny Ducet Muzzleloader
Video Library

Author Topic: New bag, not finished quite yet....  (Read 253 times)

Offline Huntschool

New bag, not finished quite yet....
« on: February 24, 2019, 04:05:54 PM »
Here is a pic of a bag I have been working on.  Its about 90% finished but I thought I would show it off a bit.

The body all leather work save for the brown trim is dyed calf skin, the strap is by Kris Polizzi and the horn is by Art DeCamp.  The hang straps for the horn are doubled calf with a bit of "clock chain" on the tip connection.  I have to do some more sewing and am waiting on some "parts" to attach the powder measure pick and brush as well as an "in process" patch knife.

It has a center divider with a 1/4 height bottom gusset in the front pocket.  There is also a hanging pouch on the inside back for balls etc.

I have worn it around the house (weather has been terrible) and it hangs well and seems to be very functional.  The horn rides above the top of the bag when worn. This will be for my .62 fowler.

Thanks

Here is a shot with a bit more detail.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 04:56:10 PM by Huntschool »

Online goingoldskool

Re: New bag, not finished quite yet....
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2019, 07:38:09 PM »
That looks really good!  Any trouble with the trim around the brown calf skin?  I've been wanting to try that but haven't yet. It gives it a nice "finished" look.

Nice job!

Offline Huntschool

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2019, 09:12:15 PM »
goingoldschool:

Truthfully no... but.... that trim was made by Tandy likely 50 years or more ago.  It has been kept in good storage and as you can see, worked real well.

I would suggest using buckskin or a very thin calf skin (under 1.5mm) and glue it first.

Online doc nock

• BPG Member
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2019, 07:47:54 PM »
HS,

What glue do you use?  Stuff I've tried prevented the dye from taking but the kit I bought was pre-dyed leather and pre-cut pieces.  I didn't have the right leather punch for holes at that time and it didn't come out like I'd have liked..

Offline Huntschool

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2019, 09:10:25 PM »
Always die the leather first.  I use Fiebings for the most part, sometimes real contact cement or barge cement.

Offline Yewbender

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2019, 10:14:12 PM »
Nice work and the bag looks great :thumbs:

Online doc nock

• BPG Member
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2019, 12:26:48 PM »
Always die the leather first.  I use Fiebings for the most part, sometimes real contact cement or barge cement.
A leather shop gave me some dye that is dark purple (sorta) and it's great..he had it in large container and gave me a food jar of it...

The Barge Cement I used to swear by, but due to the idjut "Huffers" they removed the one component that made it work super to protect the already brain dead...so went many of the other glues as well for the same reason...

I was curious what you were using that worked... Living here in semi-rural NE TN, it's hard to find anything cept at the big box stores who don't carry the good stuff...

Offline Huntschool

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2019, 12:54:34 PM »
You might check on line.  If there is a glue listed and shipping requires a Haz Mat charge..... that's the good stuff, usually

Online doc nock

• BPG Member
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2019, 01:19:27 PM »
I appreciate that sentiment and advice, Bruce...

I don't use much glue and it goes bad... plus some thoughts I shared in a PM not to tie up bandwidth... :)