Black Powder Gang is all about the firearms, and their times and people,
that use "black powder" (known in the 18th and 19th centuries as "gun powder")
as the propellant in both muzzleloading and cartridge guns.
About Traditional Muzzleloaders

19th Century Single Shot Cartridge Rifles

Loading Black Powder
Paper Patched Bullet Cartridges
Snapshots of the Past

The American Sharps Shooters

The Denny Ducet Muzzleloader
Video Library

Author Topic: Hawken kit  (Read 128 times)

Offline Greg D

Hawken kit
« on: March 05, 2019, 12:00:48 PM »
I recently had a conversation with TOTW about their full stock Hawken kit. The guy I spoke to on the phone felt it was a difficult build due to a lot of additional inletting for the tang and did not think it was a good idea for an inexperienced builder. Has anyone built one of these and did you find it to be that difficult? I appreciate his honesty and don’t want to get in over my head but I do like the gun. Thanks, Greg

Offline Mike Yancey

Re: Hawken kit
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2019, 05:07:41 PM »
Any of the parts kits that you get from them are great kits. But all require a lot of work and special skills and knowledge to complete. These are not a screw driver type kit, lots of work to be done on your part. They don't come ready to snap together!

Online doc nock

• BPG Member
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2019, 06:29:33 PM »
Watching a few of the scratch builds on here and a few of the kit builds, I can only say that I KNOW that there is no way I COULD build one...

I have some wood working ability and hand tools, but not chisels as sharp as Jim Kibler shows in his videos... and he makes it look EASY...but when he walks off camera to get a part, one might wonder if that one was hand selected to work better then some others.

I have zip for metal working experience and I can make flinlters shoot, but not intimately knowledgeable on their internal operations nor how to disassemble locks etc

Offline Huntschool

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2019, 12:09:26 AM »
Greg:

A Hawken rifle whether it be a half stock or a full stock requires a lot of knowledge regarding the shaping and the right parts.  There are limited parts out there that are correct if that is a consideration for you.

If its a flint gun you will likely end up with a one piece paten breech (although The Hawken Shop in WA has some hook breech English flint patent breech models).  That means the breech and the tang are one piece and will require some skills to get them (barrel included) into the stock.  Also the paten breech's available are not totally correct for the rifle.  Dont ask why, cause I dont know but I do know their architecture is not correct based on originals.  (Remember, we have no surviving examples of a Hawken Mountain/Plains rifle made with a flintlock.)   Butt plates, triggers and trigger guards are also in question.

OK, that being said...… one could build a really nice Hawken full stock flint gun with available parts but you should know they aint exactly right...

Just some thoughts from an old Hawken guy.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 05:59:09 PM by Huntschool »

Offline Shiloh1944

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2019, 09:45:52 PM »
I recently bought and built a TOTW Kit Carson half stock Hawken rifle kit. It was my first ever high end rifle kit. If I had known the difficulty involved it would not have been my first kit, but I bought the kit from an individual who had bought it and decided not to build it. I don't know what his reasons were. It came just as if I had purchased it directly from TOTW. The under rib and ram rod thimbles were installed by TOTW as was the front and rear sights and the breach plug which is the way I would have ordered it as well. I had already started building it when I read it should not be your first ever build. Too late as I had already started and I was bound and determined to get it built. I just did not want a $1200 kit become a $400 rifle. Thankfully I have a lot of wood working experience as I was a cabinet maker and I have made several knives from scratch in the past along with the many tomahawks I have customized. I also have made three of the simpler rifle kits in the past. The early TC Hawken rifle kits were more difficult than their later kits. Their brass parts were rough cast and had to be cleaned up and polished and the barrels showed mill marks that had to be draw filed and either browned or blued, Their later kits were simpler and did not require the barrels being draw filed and the brass parts were not nearly as rough as the early kits. They never required drilling and tapping screw and bolt holes in the metal parts or the stock as do the TOTW kits. You will need a drill press, vise, quality very sharp wood chisels, and plenty of room to work. You will need to also purchase the few tools required and listed with the kits to include taps and drill bits unless you already have tap and die and drill bit sets. None of the necessary assembly holes in the metal parts are drilled, tapped, or countersunk nor are they present on the stock of the TOTW kits. Finished inletting will also be required thus a quality very sharp wood chisel set. My point is the right tools will be required to do a TOTW kit. They are a challenge for most of us unless you are a long time builder or someone who has the skill to build from scratch. For those who have the skill to do that I have a very high degree of respect and admiration.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2019, 09:46:25 PM by Shiloh1944 »