Black Powder Gang is all about the firearms, and their times and people,
that use "black powder" (known in the 18th and 19th centuries as "gun powder")
as the propellant in both muzzleloading and cartridge guns.
About Traditional Muzzleloaders

19th Century Single Shot Cartridge Rifles

Loading Black Powder
Paper Patched Bullet Cartridges
Snapshots of the Past

The American Sharps Shooters

The Denny Ducet Muzzleloader
Video Library

Author Topic: Old Smoke 4  (Read 53 times)

Online lone hunter

Old Smoke 4
« on: February 10, 2019, 08:47:33 PM »
I like to hunt bottoms at the mouth of narrow draws. Generally, they have a opening at the bottom where it's possible to ambush a buck.  I had been into this area the week before and felt that there was enough sign to warrant a vigil. I left the pickup at the top in about 8" of snow and hiked  a couple miles down an old grown up road that had been closed years before. The bottom was free of snow, with just patches here and there.  From my previous visit I had located a place to set up in a clump of 2-3 little red fir saplings. If something came out of the draw, it would offer a longer shot than I was comfortable with off hand.  I found a long limb that I laid between two of the saplings to use as a rest. I settled in to wait for dark or a buck, which ever came first. It was raining lightly and was just beginning to snow. Just at last light, this fellow came out of the draw at a trot.  I made a grunt noise with my mouth and he stopped and looked in my direction. It was a hard quartering away angle when he looked back at me.
It was well after dark when I made my way back to the rig and the next morning I went in with a mule to pack him out.
 [ Invalid Attachment ]
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 08:22:39 AM by lone hunter »

Online doc nock

• BPG Member
Re: Old Smoke 4
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2019, 07:59:04 AM »
Wow...another great hunting tale...thanks!

I'm surprised being in the NW you can leave a deer overnight and not have it devoured by yodel dogs.  Nice animal!!

Online lone hunter

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2019, 02:52:25 PM »
David, I've had more trouble with ravens than anything else. Course with the wolf situation around here now, need to get the meat out as quick as possible. Always leave some article of clothing and scent the area up some. 

Online doc nock

• BPG Member
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2019, 04:02:14 PM »
David, I've had more trouble with ravens than anything else. Course with the wolf situation around here now, need to get the meat out as quick as possible. Always leave some article of clothing and scent the area up some.
I've read while living in MT to try to get meat off ground onto some logs or the like and leave an undershirt or such on the critter to keep the predators at bay...

Perhaps that'd work ok where population is sparse, but there are areas back here with yote issues and with all the people, I'd imagine the predators would constantly have a snoot full of people stink...but then I don't know about that, just ruminating...

Wonder if grandma's trick to keep birds outa her garden would work...?  She'd tie tin foil pans to string on sticks so they'd flap and bang at the slightest breeze and kept the birds outa the garden... too much activity for them I guess.. .:)  AGain, pure T speculation...