Black Powder Gang is all about the firearms, and their times and people,
that use "black powder" (known back in the day as "gun powder")
as the propellant for muzzleloading and cartridge guns of the 18th and 19th centuries.
Tapatalk has been added to BPGang for all mobile phone users!
About Traditional Muzzleloaders

19th Century Single Shot Cartridge Rifles

Loading Black Powder
Paper Patched Bullet Cartridges
Snapshots of the Past

The American Sharps Shooters

The Denny Ducet Muzzleloader
Video Library

Author Topic: Old Smoke-2  (Read 337 times)

Offline lone hunter

Old Smoke-2
« on: January 08, 2019, 11:51:02 AM »
Not much of a story here, just one of those "right place at right time" encounters.  I was moving up stream along the river when I spotted him crossing the river and going up a ridge.  I hustled up best I could (lot of snow this particular year) and caught up with him on a hillside.  Easy sliding down the hill.
 [ Invalid Attachment ]

Online doc nock

• BPG Member
Re: Old Smoke-2
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2019, 12:03:50 PM »
DAng! I'd say you've a good place to hunt...

Those racks look like they share a gene pool... :)

Offline lone hunter

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2019, 12:58:39 PM »
Yes, we've been fortunate over the years. Hunt the same areas so get to know them pretty well.  Depending upon the weather, there is very little pressure and if you're willing rough it some you'll be all alone.  Mike

Online doc nock

• BPG Member
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2019, 01:16:30 PM »
When you list yourself as N. ID, are you up in the panhandle?

I ran thru 90 on way to Spokane from Helena MT and that was some rugged looking country to the North

Offline lone hunter

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2019, 02:29:38 PM »
Yes, the panhandle.  About 35 miles from Canadian border.  Will try and get a pic or two of the country around here.  Mike

Online doc nock

• BPG Member
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2019, 03:04:37 PM »
I had to google how to spell  Coeur d'Alene, cause I never get it right, but the highway runs just north of it and it sure was purdy country to the North as one runs the concrete ribbon...rugged ole place, as I recall!

Online doc nock

• BPG Member
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2019, 03:08:48 PM »
See what age does to memory... I recalled a lake to my South (left heading West on 90, but in my defense it was in the early-mid 80s! :(

I googled  Coeur d'Alene and 90 runs along a Lake by Higgins point but then 90 bears NW and goes thru town...I didn't remember anything about seeing the city... Memory had me all messed up.

Surely they didn't change the route of I-90 since I ran it! :(:(  Sorry

Online goingoldskool

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2019, 06:04:44 PM »
You are flat tearing those deer up! Congratulations

Offline lone hunter

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2019, 08:04:43 PM »
Thanks, I do love my late BP season. Pics are over the years, one tag a season but now we can buy an extra tag at the nonresident price.  Probably not may years left so don't mind spending the money.

Doc, I-90 in same place. Coeur d'Alene lake borders the city and the city is now on both sides of I-90. You were only 1 1/2 hours from me. You should have come by, had a fresh pot of coffee on.  I live outside the town of Clark Fork which is at the mouth of Lake Pend Oreille.

Online doc nock

• BPG Member
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2019, 08:39:36 PM »
Doc, I-90 in same place. Coeur d'Alene lake borders the city and the city is now on both sides of I-90. You were only 1 1/2 hours from me. You should have come by, had a fresh pot of coffee on.  I live outside the town of Clark Fork which is at the mouth of Lake Pend Oreille.

I just mis-remembered how it was...but I did recall driving along the lake on 90...I THOUGHT all the signs for Coeur D'alene were off to the South and never recalled going thru town, but by the time I hit that area, I likely started having white line fever...

I sent you an email.  I don't live in MT anymore...