Black Powder Gang is all about the firearms, and their times and people,
that use "black powder" (known in the 18th and 19th centuries as "gun powder")
as the propellant in both muzzleloading and cartridge guns.
About Traditional Muzzleloaders

19th Century Single Shot Cartridge Rifles

Loading Black Powder
Paper Patched Bullet Cartridges
Snapshots of the Past

The American Sharps Shooters

The Denny Ducet Muzzleloader
Video Library

Author Topic: ATF as lube patch/bore lube on a ML?  (Read 169 times)

Offline michaelschwister

ATF as lube patch/bore lube on a ML?
« on: January 07, 2019, 10:53:53 AM »
Had an old timer tell me to use MERCON ATF as a patch /bore lube on my flintlocks.  Another told me to use bore butter only (which is what I have been doing) BB only does not keep the gun clean, nore keep the bore rust free over long periods without shooting.  Is the MERCON a better choice than BB?

Online doc nock

• BPG Member
Re: ATF as lube patch/bore lube on a ML?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2019, 11:29:41 AM »
Michael,

Don't know nuttin about that Mercn stuff, but there is a good article herein on another lube you might consider... I made some and was gifted some and find it works very well for my purpose...

I like it doesn't stay messy like BB and it helps keep the bore clean with a simple blow down the bbl to keep the fouling moist...

See what cha think...http://bpgang.com/bpg/index.php?topic=271.msg1960#msg1960

In my earlier days up in PA one shop "expert on BP" told me that BB "seasons that bbl like a black iron skillet...unfortunately, most bbls today are not of the same metal as Black iron skillets and there has been much since debunking that theory...quien sabe?

Online Monterey

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2019, 04:21:27 PM »
I think the ATF thing got started many years ago based on the fact that early automatic transmissions (AKA fluid drive) had animal fat for the fluid.  I once saw a junk dealer draining a very old transmission (very old in 1973) and he explained it to me.  There was no doubt that what he was draining was some kind of animal product.  Probably woulda made a good patch lube. :)
Mike Lee

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2019, 09:58:50 AM »
whether it'll work well as a patch lube will be up to your experimentation.  this is true for anything from spit to "bore butter" or any of the myriad of concoctions touted to "be best" for yer shooting and yer gun.  the truth is, most anything will do for a patch lube, some will work well, others will simply not work well, if at all.

lots depends on what your lube requirements are all about.  a good lube will work well in all temperatures, from high summer heats on the range to sub zero cold when on winter's deer stand.  lube viscosity can be liquid to grease or something in between.  i like using ball boards and so prefer a waxy grease lube that's driven into the patch material and stays there, long after the ball has been seated in the board.  this is also true of the patch strips i prefer that are heat saturated with my grease lube that allows rolling up the patch strips when the lube has cooled and solidified.  thicker "grease" that "dries" is just lots less messy than liquid lubes.