If it loads and shoots with Black Powder ~ muzzle or cartridge ~ y'all come to the right place!

** BPGang Forum Rules **

For smartphone and tablet users, a BPGang mobile theme is available!

Author Topic: Working on a shooting bag.  (Read 1572 times)

Offline Monterey

• BPG Member
Working on a shooting bag.
« on: December 14, 2018, 05:52:44 PM »
One of my grandsons will be getting a shooting bag for Christmas and the project got started today.  Pieces are cut out except for the flap and strap. I'll cut those two later.  Just finished dyeing the parts with vinagaroon.  Tomorrow when they are dry I'll start stitching it up. 

Parts in the pictures are front, back, gusset an two inside pockets.

Guess the pictures are not going to load.  I'll try again later.

Mike Lee

Offline Monterey

• BPG Member
Re: Working on a shooting bag.
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2018, 05:54:50 PM »
Guess the one worked so here goes #2

Mike Lee

Online goingoldskool

• BPG Member
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2018, 06:37:16 PM »
 :thumbs:

Be sure to post pics as you build, please!

Offline Monterey

• BPG Member
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2018, 07:13:18 PM »
I will do that.
Mike Lee

Offline Monterey

• BPG Member
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2018, 06:35:02 AM »
The vinegaroon is dried so I marked out the inside pockets and applied some contact cement to both the inside of the back and the edges of the pockets.

Mike Lee

Offline Monterey

• BPG Member
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2018, 06:44:51 AM »
And pressed into place ready to be stitched.

Mike Lee

Online doc nock

• BPG Contributing Member
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2018, 10:44:22 AM »
Very nice!!!  And, I'll bite...what is vinegaroon?

Eric shared a BP show in Knoxville area last year and I drove over and found it...mostly really old, old stuff but a few vendors of accessories, too...One older gent had some knife sheaths there and one was colored much like your Gson's bag..and he said he just did it with vinegar...

It smelled so good, I wanted to gnaw on it, but that's likely coming from PA Dutch (Deutche) Country, with the "7 sweets/7 sours" culture, vinegar was a stable food group.

So...what is vinegaroon?

Offline Monterey

• BPG Member
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2018, 11:48:07 AM »
Vinegaroon is an old timey dye that is easily made at home.  Just add some iron filings or steel wool to vinegar and let it sit until the acid in the venegar dissolves it won't take any more.  About a week or two works fine.  Be sure to get all the oil off the filings or steel wool otherwise you will get a bit of undesireable goomba in your mix.  Also, be certain that none of the iron is above the surface of the vinegar during the process otherwise it will react with the air around it and add a rusty goomba to your mix.  A good free source of steel filings is any parts store or garage that turns drums and rotors.  They are happy to let you scoop some out of the bin.
The color comes from a reaction of the iron in the vinegar with the tannin in the leather.  The leather needs to be vegetable dyed which is typically done with bark.  Particularly oak bark.  You will also hear the term "bark tanned".
The color will vary with the amount of tannin in the leather (this can also be done with wood).  You can see a blue tinge in this project.  It's not quite as blue as the pictures show but it is blue tinged.  Using the same batch of vinegaroon on different leather sources will give varying colors.  Sometimes deep black and sometimes a much lighter blueish color which over time becomes more gray.  It all darkens with time.
Another good black dye is ferric nitrate crystals dissolved in water.  This is the same stuff as the aqua fortis used on maple gunstocks but it is not as acidic since the acidity has already been reacted out of the acid before it is crystalized.  You can order the ferric nitrate crystals from The Science Company https://www.sciencecompany.com/   The ferric nitrate solution is more consistently black although you will sometimes get a silvery dark gray from it.
This bag will turn a darker blacker color when it's oiled after completion.
And, the pockets are stitched into the inside of the bag back.

Mike Lee

Online doc nock

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2018, 06:02:47 PM »
Now that you've described it my aged memory recalls something I'd forgotten...about the vinegar and steel wool... Totally spaced that out...  Doh! :(

I didn't know about the veggie died leather either...

You surely have given me a lot more data and information to work with then I was given at that "show" and yea, I forgot about the steel wool, but I don't think i'd ever heard the Bark Tanned mentioned in that exchange...not sure what I bought at the knoxville Tandy store

Offline Monterey

• BPG Member
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2018, 05:31:26 PM »
Ahhh, Christmas is behind us and there is time to rest, recuperate and catch up on this topic.  Being that it was a Christmas gift, it goes without saying that it is completed.  I didn't take as many pictures as I should have as the Christmas rush got in the way.

Here's some follow up.  Here is the bag parts including the gusset.  A bag can be stitched or laced right side out or inside out.  I like the look of stitching inside out and then turning the bag later.

Nd, here it is all sewn up and then soaked in warm water and turned right side out.

Mike Lee

Offline Monterey

• BPG Member
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2018, 05:37:22 PM »
That dark spot is where I tested for color after applying some neatsfoot oil.  As this project has progressed, the stained leather has been getting gradually darker and is nearly black with the oil applied.

Next up was the flap.  The flap was cut pretty much the same as the back of the pouch but a bit narrower in the lower part of it.  I decided to do a weeping heart on the flap so it was cut out and then a piece of leather sewn on from the back side.  I roughed the heart up with sandpaper and colored it with red acrylic paint,

Mike Lee

Offline Monterey

• BPG Member
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2018, 05:39:19 PM »
Next, I needed to do some strap extensions and then stain the parts before stitching in the heart.

Mike Lee

Offline Monterey

• BPG Member
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2018, 05:45:52 PM »
Things started to get a bit rushed at this point given that my washing machine shot craps a couple days before Christmas and I had to shop for and install a replacement.  Nobody would deliver before Christmas so I drove an 80 mile round trip to pick it up.

Any way, consequently the photos sort of fell by the wayside. :-[

Here it is finished except for the oiling and the over the shoulder strap.  I did a simple strap by sewing an extension to the right side strap holder and punched a series of holes in the other strap holder as well as the strap end.  I used a conway buckle to secure it.  Not very traditional on the buckle but it's very easy to do adjustments with it.

I sewed the heart in with some red B50  ;D   I'll try to get a few follow up photos of the kid with his bag if I can corner him.

[ Invalid Attachment ]
Mike Lee

Online doc nock

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2018, 06:45:54 PM »
Try not to scare the boy if you "corner him" :):) 

I'd hope he was most proud of his G-pa's work...that surely is nice...

I bought a kit from somewhere and it turned out just so-so...

Offline Monterey

• BPG Member
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2018, 09:56:51 AM »
If you get TC Albert's book on recreating the shooting bag it will give a lot of insight into making bags.
Mike Lee