Black Powder Gang is all about the firearms, and their times and people,
that use "black powder" (known in the 18th and 19th centuries as "gun powder")
as the propellant in both muzzleloading and cartridge guns.
About Traditional Muzzleloaders

Late 19th Century Rifles & Cartridges

Loading Black Powder
Paper Patched Bullet Cartridges
Snapshots of the Past

The American Sharps Shooters

The Denny Ducet Muzzleloader
Video Library

Author Topic: L&R locks ?  (Read 52 times)

Online bldtrailer

L&R locks ?
« on: December 05, 2018, 03:31:44 PM »
My sons flinter is a Traditions Tennessee 24 inch barrel 1-66 shoots/groups great with 80rn 3ff pt rb , but the lock isn't very good . L&R show a replacement lock (small for cva, traditions) does anyone know if it's a drop in( or needs to be fitted)  and how good are R&L locks?

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
Re: L&R locks ?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2018, 04:02:41 PM »
i've installed three L&R locks into GPR's and they are quite good.  L&R makes top shelf locks, for sure. 

imo, no aftermarket lock is a "drop in" fit and all will require a little bit of proper mortise/inlet fitting.  not a big deal at all for most of us.

Online Huntschool

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2018, 07:10:11 PM »
I will herald Robs opinion on L&R locks.  They were on of the first mfg's to really go after production locks short of Siler.  You might need to "touch" one up a bit but in general they are great. 

As to being replacement locks quite frankly I have no experience in that endeavor.....

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2018, 10:10:49 AM »
I have posted this before; I put a L&R RPL lock in a TC Renegade, it was anything but a drop in. It took some serious gunsmithing skills to fit the lock and get it working. I also sent the lock back to L&R twice because of manufacturing flaws. When I got it back the second time it still wasn't right (tumber wouldn't turn) but I fixed it myself rather than send it back again.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 10:11:05 AM by Eric Krewson »

Online doc nock

• BPG Member
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2018, 01:25:02 PM »
I have posted this before; I put a L&R RPL lock in a TC Renegade, it was anything but a drop in. It took some serious gunsmithing skills to fit the lock and get it working. I also sent the lock back to L&R twice because of manufacturing flaws. When I got it back the second time it still wasn't right (tumber wouldn't turn) but I fixed it myself rather than send it back again.

I seem to recall that experience, Eric... Let's hope with L&Rs reputation, that was a 1-off situation and if the OP buys one the most he'll have to do is to scrape and fit a bit of wood and all will be well!