Black Powder Gang is all about the firearms, and their times and people,
that use "black powder" (known back in the day as "gun powder")
as the propellant for muzzleloading and cartridge guns of the 18th and 19th centuries.
Tapatalk has been added to BPGang for all mobile phone users!
About Traditional Muzzleloaders

19th Century Single Shot Cartridge Rifles

Loading Black Powder
Paper Patched Bullet Cartridges
Snapshots of the Past

The American Sharps Shooters

The Denny Ducet Muzzleloader
Video Library

Author Topic: L&R locks ?  (Read 616 times)

Offline Eric Krewson

Re: L&R locks ?
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2019, 11:26:02 AM »
It is Chambers for me as well, the only thing I find consistently wrong with a Chambers is the main spring is always dragging on the lock plate, an easy fix, just takes a few minutes with a file to correct.

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2019, 11:32:00 AM »
... they are not the cookie cutter copies we might expect.

yep, that's it in a nutshell.  all it takes is for a stock to be a hair off and it's no longer a "drop in" lock ... i know L&R doesn't call it that because it sure wouldn't be true.  this is the same with the very precise kibler kits - there are just too many variables, particularly in getting all the holes and alignments of the barrel, tang, touch hole and lock to fit within a tenth of an inch, let alone for a "perfect" fit.  i found that out first hand with the kibler kolonial kit, and jim acknowledged the issue i had as an "oopsie".  wasn't off that much that i couldn't or didn't fix, it's just something to be aware of when messing with kits or swapping out locks, in that if you don't have the ability to administer a proper fix, the kit or swap out could wind up being a mistake.

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2019, 11:37:04 AM »
It is Chambers for me as well, the only thing I find consistently wrong with a Chambers is the main spring is always dragging on the lock plate, an easy fix, just takes a few minutes with a file to correct.

ah yes, we both see that same issue.  it is an easy fit.  if it's a lock for a build, yer gonna wind up disassembling it anyway, too.

Online Huntschool

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2019, 12:07:06 PM »
Perhaps the GPR RPL lock is a better fit than a TC. I have heard from a lot of folk who used a TC RPL, some went in easily, some went in poorly and everything in between. I have found they is a lot of inconsistency in TC guns, they are not the cookie cutter copies we might expect.

Eric:  I agree totally with this.  Even moving a TC lock from one gun to another can bring some "fixing" into play.  I found this back in the day when I worked on outside guns.

JMHO....

Offline Rocklock

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2019, 04:02:39 PM »
Iíve got 5 L&R locks in service, 3 are RPL flinters, One each into Renegade and Hawken stocks.   Very little difficulty.  One was to convert a 50s to 60s one off rifle with a Russ Hamm percussion to flint.  The Hamm worked but the mortise put the touch hole too high.  Did some re inletting and filled some space below the back end of the lock plate.  Certainly not L&R fault.  One of the locks was bought from a supplier along with other parts to minimize freight.  Several parts required filing and polishing.  The locks bought direct from L&R weíre fine for the look I was going for and functioned just fine. Iím guessing that the problem lock was bought as a kit.  Stuck together and sold.  Browning the first one for a TC, I over heated the frizzen (I donít use that browning solution anymore) so sent It back to L&R and asked for rehardening, plus a spare frizzen fitted and hardened, and spare frizzen and main springs.  Great service, quick turnaround and the flinters work just fine.