Black Powder Gang is all about the firearms, and their times and people,
that use "black powder" (known in the 18th and 19th centuries as "gun powder")
as the propellant in both muzzleloading and cartridge guns.
About Traditional Muzzleloaders

Late 19th Century Rifles & Cartridges

Loading Black Powder
Paper Patched Bullet Cartridges
Snapshots of the Past

The American Sharps Shooters

The Denny Ducet Muzzleloader
Video Library

Author Topic: Made another knife- piddlin time away  (Read 36 times)

Online doc nock

• BPG Member
Made another knife- piddlin time away
« on: December 04, 2018, 01:40:59 PM »
So, I had some clutter on my mind of late and opted to build me another knife...

TOTW had a blade sale on the Russel Green River Blades, but not the one I'd sorta liked.  I'd found I lost one of the Wedge pins outa the GPR and wasn't about to pay $10 PLUS $6 shipping for one so I bought the blade I wanted and the wedge pin;  I'd made one (ground it down to shorten it) from a "left over T/C one in my "kit".  So now I have a proper spare!

This is the knife
  [ Invalid Attachment ]
And if I remember how to do this, here's a pic of the blood wood scales I used (gifted from a bowyer friend) alongside the nearly finished knife.

I don't have ability to add bolsters or cast them like doc does on his gorgeous knives, so I just left enough wood to make a small thumb groove on top and a small finger groove underneath

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Online doc nock

• BPG Member
Re: Made another knife- piddlin time away
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2018, 01:46:29 PM »
Looks as though the pic came out ok... Doc makes his blades, I've gotta "buy" mine ready made, but it's what I can do...

The "slabs" of blood wood top one is unsanded side and the bottom is sanded although they look alike in real time, you can see huge difference...

I drill the holes to match the size brass rods I was given, then re-drill one drill bit size bigger to allow for epoxy and ease of alignment; Then a older chap has a big ole horizontal belt sander of epic proportions I use to sand down the dimensions to a rough shape, then a tube sander to refine that, then file work to fit things and then sand paper to finish.  On this one, being in a bit of a hurry, I used some Minwax Antique Oil finish; that holds up rather well and can easily be redone if scarred up in use...

Online goingoldskool

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2018, 06:00:51 PM »
I really like the blade profile. .. are you gonna post pics of the sheath when you get it built, too?

Online doc nock

• BPG Member
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2018, 06:28:09 PM »
I'm still greasing up the handle, but perhaps if the sheath ain't too hideous, I will share a pic or two...

I only have one color dye and not sure where I could find others around here, so I tend to think mine all look the same..

Online doc nock

• BPG Member
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2018, 09:01:51 PM »
With a few gnarly things coming up, I decided to push ahead with the knife project...

Here's a picture of the knife and sheath

From TOTW's website, the blade description: The Camp Knife Blade is easily assembled. Features a 5" blade, with a 9" overall length. Forged from .112" thick carbon cutlery steel by America's oldest cutlery, Russell Green River.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

And the knife inside the sheath

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Blood wood scales with 4 coats of minwax antique oil finish...
« Last Edit: December 05, 2018, 09:08:00 PM by doc nock »

Online stikshooter

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2018, 09:59:06 PM »
That looks like a handi knife for every day use ,nice sheath  :camp:

Online doc nock

• BPG Member
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2018, 08:27:02 AM »
That looks like a handi knife for every day use ,nice sheath  :camp:

Thanks, SS.

I was just wingin it on the sheath...I did manage to put a heavy welt where the blade edge rides. I avoided that on a few early ones I made (sheaths) and eventually, it cuts the fake sinew lacing and I get a 2nd chance.  ::) ???