If it loads and shoots with Black Powder ~ muzzle or cartridge ~ y'all come to the right place!

** BPGang Forum Rules **

For smartphone and tablet users, a BPGang mobile theme is available!

Author Topic: Made another knife- piddlin time away  (Read 1296 times)

Online doc nock

• BPG Contributing Member
Made another knife- piddlin time away
« on: December 04, 2018, 01:40:59 PM »
So, I had some clutter on my mind of late and opted to build me another knife...

TOTW had a blade sale on the Russel Green River Blades, but not the one I'd sorta liked.  I'd found I lost one of the Wedge pins outa the GPR and wasn't about to pay $10 PLUS $6 shipping for one so I bought the blade I wanted and the wedge pin;  I'd made one (ground it down to shorten it) from a "left over T/C one in my "kit".  So now I have a proper spare!

This is the knife
  [ Invalid Attachment ]
And if I remember how to do this, here's a pic of the blood wood scales I used (gifted from a bowyer friend) alongside the nearly finished knife.

I don't have ability to add bolsters or cast them like doc does on his gorgeous knives, so I just left enough wood to make a small thumb groove on top and a small finger groove underneath

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Online doc nock

Re: Made another knife- piddlin time away
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2018, 01:46:29 PM »
Looks as though the pic came out ok... Doc makes his blades, I've gotta "buy" mine ready made, but it's what I can do...

The "slabs" of blood wood top one is unsanded side and the bottom is sanded although they look alike in real time, you can see huge difference...

I drill the holes to match the size brass rods I was given, then re-drill one drill bit size bigger to allow for epoxy and ease of alignment; Then a older chap has a big ole horizontal belt sander of epic proportions I use to sand down the dimensions to a rough shape, then a tube sander to refine that, then file work to fit things and then sand paper to finish.  On this one, being in a bit of a hurry, I used some Minwax Antique Oil finish; that holds up rather well and can easily be redone if scarred up in use...

Online goingoldskool

• BPG Member
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2018, 06:00:51 PM »
I really like the blade profile. .. are you gonna post pics of the sheath when you get it built, too?

Online doc nock

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2018, 06:28:09 PM »
I'm still greasing up the handle, but perhaps if the sheath ain't too hideous, I will share a pic or two...

I only have one color dye and not sure where I could find others around here, so I tend to think mine all look the same..

Online doc nock

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2018, 09:01:51 PM »
With a few gnarly things coming up, I decided to push ahead with the knife project...

Here's a picture of the knife and sheath

From TOTW's website, the blade description: The Camp Knife Blade is easily assembled. Features a 5" blade, with a 9" overall length. Forged from .112" thick carbon cutlery steel by America's oldest cutlery, Russell Green River.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

And the knife inside the sheath

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Blood wood scales with 4 coats of minwax antique oil finish...
« Last Edit: December 05, 2018, 09:08:00 PM by doc nock »

Offline stikshooter

• BPG Member
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2018, 09:59:06 PM »
That looks like a handi knife for every day use ,nice sheath  :camp:

Online doc nock

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2018, 08:27:02 AM »
That looks like a handi knife for every day use ,nice sheath  :camp:

Thanks, SS.

I was just wingin it on the sheath...I did manage to put a heavy welt where the blade edge rides. I avoided that on a few early ones I made (sheaths) and eventually, it cuts the fake sinew lacing and I get a 2nd chance.  ::) ???

Offline vtmtnman

• Mountain member
  • BPG Member
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2018, 12:27:37 PM »
Nice work Dave.Reminds me I want to try building something with a coffin grip at some point.

Offline Monterey

• BPG Member
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2018, 10:48:18 PM »
Nice!  I really like the bloodwood.
Mike Lee

Online Yewbender

• BPG Member
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2018, 09:34:25 PM »
Looks good Doc :thumbs: You got some skills brother!

Online doc nock

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2018, 08:06:00 AM »
Thanks, Gents.

I guess compared to these boys building guns and making ornate horns, I don't see slapping on some wood handles as having much skill.

Were it not for my 84 yr old friend/neighbor with a wood shop and big sanders, I'd likely be hard pressed to try even that!  But I do appreciate the kind remarks... Thank you!!!

I had to PM VTman to find out what a Coffin Handle was... now I wish I'd have done that...