Black Powder Gang is all about the firearms, and their times and people,
that use "black powder" (known in the 18th and 19th centuries as "gun powder")
as the propellant in both muzzleloading and cartridge guns.
About Traditional Muzzleloaders

Late 19th Century Rifles & Cartridges

Loading Black Powder
Paper Patched Bullet Cartridges
Snapshots of the Past

The American Sharps Shooters

The Denny Ducet Muzzleloader
Video Library

Author Topic: .62 round ball over 55gr is it enough to go thru both sides.  (Read 95 times)

Offline Tajue17

.62 round ball over 55gr is it enough to go thru both sides.
« on: November 25, 2018, 10:10:01 AM »
so I have been very confident of this load because when I dropped down to 55gr of 1 1/2 swiss  my grouping size tightened up a significantly to 4" @ 50yds which for me with a SB and front blade only I opted for accuracy over energy and keeping in mind my shots should realistically 35/40yds in the deer woods..

pic below was when I was trying new loads because I wasn't happy with the grouping I was getting with 80gr,, Dave motto 1730 fowler, .62/42", mink oil patch 50/55gr of swiss 1 1/2,, I came up to 55gr since

curious about others here who shoot smoothies,  whats been your lightest loads for deer?

« Last Edit: November 25, 2018, 10:12:17 AM by Tajue17 »
"Us vs Them"

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
Re: .62 round ball over 55gr is it enough to go thru both sides.
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2018, 05:57:06 PM »
a sweet "light" load for my .62/42" smoothie is 65 grains of swiss 3f under a greased thick patched .575 ball.  this has given me some good groups at a tad over 40 yards on an 8" gong, offhand.  i did 5 grain test loads from 60 to 80 grains (swiss 3f) and 65 was the winner for this gun.  50 or 55 of 1-1/2f would seem to me to be kinda on the weak side.

i'll add - 55 grains of 1-1/2f under a 575 to 590 or so patched ball should be more than enuf to blow through thin skinned deer at 40 yards, no sweat.  if yer gun give's the acceptable consistent accuracy you expect, go for it.   

Offline Tajue17

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2018, 10:12:38 PM »
I'm going to try it and honestly I think 40yds max because of the way I like to set up in the woods I like to be nestled into the thick stuff a bit,   I forgot to mention I did take a shot at an old wash machine out in the woods and the ball blew threw one side which was pretty heavy duty sheet metal.    I might only get a a day or two out with the smoke pole due to work being so busy but fingers will be crossed and if anything I will post a pic here..
"Us vs Them"

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2018, 05:54:22 AM »
go for it ted!   :thumbs: