Black Powder Gang is all about the firearms, and their times and people,
that use "black powder" (known in the 18th and 19th centuries as "gun powder")
as the propellant in both muzzleloading and cartridge guns.
About Traditional Muzzleloaders

Late 19th Century Rifles & Cartridges

Loading Black Powder
Paper Patched Bullet Cartridges
Snapshots of the Past

The American Sharps Shooters

The Denny Ducet Muzzleloader
Video Library

Author Topic: Nice day to be afield  (Read 113 times)

Online doc nock

• BPG Member
Nice day to be afield
« on: November 04, 2018, 12:13:10 PM »
ON TG, one chap has a tag line, "Being there was good enough"...well, yesterday was THAT day for me (or 2/3 day anyway)

First hunt of the season as MZ came in here in TN so I was there, albeit too early and had to sit and wait in car for legal time.

It'd rain all day Friday but promised to dawn clear and slightly chilly.

I got there, waited till closer to legal time and then got my gear and paraphernalia on.

As I tried to prime the pan in what was still too dark to see (used a mini mag lite) the front wrap on my gifted powder horn tore, so by flashlight I tied it back around and it held all day

Then going thru pine trees looking for the path in dark, I lost my cushion seat

Come daylight, I saw I was missing one of the wedge pins on my GPR, but one was secure...

Later going thru yet more brush a gifted wire "pick" tore off the gun as the strand of chord holding it wasn't stout enough as it would dangle and not stay put where I lodged it under the tie on recoil pad I made...

Aside from all that, it was a GLORIOUS day to be afield...Weather was bright, crisp, a bit breezy so sitting had some issues, but I managed till my back played out and then I dropped my pack at the car, and just took off with possibles and powder horn, etc

Ran into a younger chap hunting with a bow who when he saw the gun, said, "I don't like guns much" then saw it was a flinter and added, "Now THAT is a real gun!"

Neither of us saw deer or fresh sign... younger gent has scouted that WMA hard and says he believes, as do I, the deer just travel thru or are few and far between... I'm not sure which... but it was safe to say it was a good day to be afield!

When we got back near our vehicles, he inquired if a flint is reliable...so I discharged it after it had been trudged thru hill and dale all day and it went off fine... he was impressed!  Not to say he's a convert, but I invited him to stop by as he resides near me in town somewhere...

Nice time out there, and who knows as age creeps in how many there'll be? :)
« Last Edit: November 04, 2018, 12:31:14 PM by doc nock »

Offline vtmtnman

• Mountain member
Re: Nice day to be afield
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2018, 01:21:16 PM »
Being there really is good enough some days.Especially when the weather is perfect.

I'll be there at the end of this week.Been a year since I been in any woods.

Online doc nock

• BPG Member
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2018, 02:10:58 PM »
Being there really is good enough some days.Especially when the weather is perfect.

I'll be there at the end of this week.Been a year since I been in any woods.
As stated, being out was a treat, especially with some personal things going on with health, etc...

But I used to live on deer meat and truly love venison... it's not why I go or used to go, but I have to admit when there is so little sign, it's hard to sit still in "new" country and that lore of "what's over the hill" is hard to avoid, but the reality is that stomping around in new-ish country ain't going to put meat in the pot, either...

This is so different here from the woods I knew and hunted for all my life, or anywhere else for that matter... 

NOT having hopes of at least seeing critters takes some of the payoff out of the equation for me... Am I the only one??...I mean I used to relish seeing foxes, groundhogs, possums and what not all around me all day but here, yesterday was the first time I even saw squirrels... perhaps due to the fact a front had gone thru , then cleared off? I hope "getting" wasn't the motivation, but danged it's disheartening to not  be seeing wildlife in general...

Maybe it's this Southern country and new flora, but then this public tract doesn't have much besides a few hickory trees for mast... I can't seem to figure what deer would even eat here or why they'd BE HERE...

Being a transplant without local contacts, I don't know what to expect or look for...

Online goingoldskool

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2018, 07:20:58 PM »
Well David, you can't get them sitting on your couch!  Any time spent  in God's creation is a gift that should be cherished!!!!
Yes, is always great to see game, but it's fun just being out amongst it as well!
Keep us posted as the season progresses....

Rodd

Online doc nock

• BPG Member
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2018, 07:53:49 PM »
Well David, you can't get them sitting on your couch!  Any time spent  in God's creation is a gift that should be cherished!!!!
Yes, is always great to see game, but it's fun just being out amongst it as well!
Keep us posted as the season progresses....

Rodd

That was the intent of my original post, all the goof ups included it was good to be out there... Can't say I'm drawn to race out to do it again... for the reasons I expounded upon in my reply to Richard (aka VTman).

But ones soul needs it time to time... not like it used to be but then I don't last as long doing those wonderful things I used to do all day long.  I spent most of yesterday evening once home and chores done and gun cleaned, on a heating pad... these old bones no longer cotton to sitting in the cold like I once did!

I think the statement I parroted, "Being there was good enough" means (to me) I don't need to kill game to enjoy the outing, but i do like seeing critters when out, alas, I knew my home territory and now...not so much... :(So I just go to smell the fall woods! :) 

For that, it was a perfect outing minus the aching lower back that is still giving me fits!

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2018, 05:52:39 PM »
mama said there'd be dayze like this  ???  :o  :-[  :camp:

Online doc nock

• BPG Member
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2018, 05:58:23 PM »

IIRC, there was a popular song like that back when I used to do the bump n grind with cute co-eds! ::) :thumbs:

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2018, 06:22:05 PM »

IIRC, there was a popular song like that back when I used to do the bump n grind with cute co-eds! ::) :thumbs:

the shirelles, 1961.  ;)

Online doc nock

• BPG Member
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2018, 07:26:44 PM »
I remember dancing to it long after 61', but hey, what's memory at this point anymore?  The Oldies lasted a good long time...not like this stuff that assaults my ears these days... But that name of the group rings a few chimes! :)