Black Powder Gang is all about the firearms, and their times and people,
that use "black powder" (known in the 18th and 19th centuries as "gun powder")
as the propellant in both muzzleloading and cartridge guns.
About Traditional Muzzleloaders

Late 19th Century Rifles & Cartridges

Loading Black Powder
Paper Patched Bullet Cartridges
Snapshots of the Past

The American Sharps Shooters

The Denny Ducet Muzzleloader
Video Library

Author Topic: Need advice on 50 cal load  (Read 200 times)

Offline lone hunter

Need advice on 50 cal load
« on: October 30, 2018, 12:54:02 PM »
Just bought a Lyman 50 cal Deerstalker for my 12 year old grandson.  Plan on starting him around 40 gr loads to start. Need to know suggested minimum loads for deer and elk. Max shot distance will be 50 yds. Bullets will TC maxi balls. Thanks for your consideration.  Mike  :thumbs:

Online stikshooter

Re: Need advice on 50 cal load
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2018, 11:17:53 PM »
Not familiar with deer stalker but if it has a 1-48 or slower twist I would start him with a round patched ball . It does produce a 50 cal hole and is quite efficient at killing stuff at short (50-70 yds ) ,and shoots with alot less recoil with lots more speed . And you can shoot 70-75 grains 2/ 3F and not worry about recoil . You simply do not need anything more lead wise than a round ball  , folks kill moose /elk with it at that yardage as long as you point it in the right direction you won"t have any problem neither will the grandson /Ed

Offline lone hunter

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2018, 09:14:22 AM »
Thank you for your suggestions, the rifle is 1-48 so I will give your advice a try. Just don't want to scare him off at this age. Mike

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2018, 07:08:50 PM »
afaik, investarms makes all lyman trad muzzleloaders.  almost all offshore guns have patent breeches, which are ante-chambers before the main chamber.   i measured a GPR .50's ante chamber to hold nearly 30 grains of 3f, so i'd consider 35 grains to be safe as the minimum because compaction (thumping the stock after pouring down the powder) might settle it lower and we don't want air spaces.  40 grains is a good starter load with either 2f or 3f.  use the same powder in the pan, too!   work up in 5 grain increments to see how the recoil feels - keep that stock tight against the shoulder!

:thumbs:  :wavey:

Offline Longhunter

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2018, 08:39:45 PM »
For deer of elk gradually work him up to 65-70gr's of 3ff behind a prb. You'll get less recoil with a ball than a maxi
« Last Edit: October 31, 2018, 08:40:41 PM by Longhunter »

Offline lone hunter

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2018, 10:44:47 PM »
Thanks for the info Rob, Doc Nock sent me a message concerning this. First I've heard of it.  Can't imagine going lower than 40 but good to have that knowledge.
Ron, I am hoping to get him to 65 gr. for a 50 yd shot with rest.  You know, 45 years ago I tried PRB but just never had any luck with it. No body hunted BP around here then so it was learn as you go. May have to take another look at it.
Is  there that much difference between 2FF and 3FF?  Have always used 2FF Select.  Hope you are doing well, enjoy reading your posts.  Mike 

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2018, 05:54:45 AM »
flint or percussion?  i'd guess it's a cap gun.  my only advice on powder is to use real black powder if at all possible/feasible.  if the ignition is flint, then using black is a MUST.  there is a difference in both black powder granulation and brand.  the premier black these days is swiss, followed by olde eynesford (made by goex).  3f will burn the cleanest and be a bit more potent than 2f.  i always recommend 3f, and if it's a flintlock, 3f is perfect for both the tube and pan, and no need for 4f pan powder. 

as to the projectile, these guns were designed to load and fire patched balls.  for a .50, use a .490 ball and test out both .010 and .015 patch cloth.  the cloth can be lubed with spit (but only for an immediate shot, don't leave a gun loaded for any extended length of time with a spit patch), or any of the commercial concoctions.  tallow is a favorite of yore as well as today, and i use a blend of mutton tallow, beeswax and some canning wax that's melted together in double boiler fashion, rubbed onto the patch cloth and then heated into its weave.  in a pinch, crisco works fine, as well as ballistol.

there are essentially two schools of thought for loading patched balls.  the old way (18th and 19th centuries) was to load "loose" - this makes for easy loading with just the gun's ramrod.   the "modern" way is to patch the ball tight, which requires a ball starter and maybe even a hammer.  this might afford some measure of increased accuracy.  maybe.  i ascribe to the old ways, but to each their own.  with either method, make sure the patched ball is well seated on the powder column as any air space 'tween the two invites trouble.  to insure the ball is well seated, "bounce" the ram rod - when it "trampolines" up, ya know the job is done well and consistently.

for starters, i would also advise to administer fouling control between shots.  wet a patch with spit and run it down the tube, follow with a dry patch.  a cut off piece of ball patch works.  i use separate arsenal round pressed cotton patches specifically just for fouling control and after-shoot cleaning. 

with patent breeches, the patched jag will never reach into the ante-chamber as it's orifice is restricted ...

[ Invalid Attachment ]

... use a .22 or .30 cal wire or nylon brush that's draped with a cleaning patch to get into the ante-chamber, after first cleaning the bore.  if you only clean out the bore, you may be pushing crud into the ante-chamber, and that can hamper ignition.

all of the above is stuff to consider in order to insure the gun will go off reliably and the accuracy will be at least good.  getting down a shooting regimen before actually shooting will save time and make for an enjoyable range visit.

above all, have fun and go make meat!  :thumbs:  :camp:

Offline lone hunter

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2018, 09:40:53 AM »
Dang Rob, that's a lot of information there. When the rifle gets here, I will take into consideration your advice. Believe I may revisit the PRB.  Thanks, Mike

Online doc nock

• BPG Member
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2018, 12:14:34 PM »
Here is more of Rob's good tutelage posted prior: http://bpgang.com/bpg/index.php?topic=15.0