Black Powder Gang is all about the firearms, and their times and people,
that use "black powder" (known in the 18th and 19th centuries as "gun powder")
as the propellant in both muzzleloading and cartridge guns.
About Traditional Muzzleloaders

19th Century Single Shot Cartridge Rifles

Loading Black Powder
Paper Patched Bullet Cartridges
Snapshots of the Past

The American Sharps Shooters

The Denny Ducet Muzzleloader
Video Library

Author Topic: Jim Kibler Colonial Rifle Kit  (Read 3517 times)

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
Re: Jim Kibler Colonial Rifle Kit
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2018, 06:02:05 PM »
the real deal arrived, thanx to katherine ...

Online doc nock

• BPG Member
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2018, 07:52:19 PM »
Well, now, Rob..I'd say that piece of wood for the stock is a LOT fancier grain then the last one, eh?

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2018, 06:08:21 PM »
starting to mate the barrel to the stock.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Online goingoldskool

« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2018, 11:13:41 PM »
Looks like a tight fit....

:thumbs:

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2018, 09:35:13 AM »
there will always be some amount of inletting required. 

the Most Important thing for a flintlock will always be how the barrel fits into the stock, from the barrel channel to the tang and bolster/breech. 

the absolute MOST important relationship in a KIT gun that's predrilled is how well the all the holes line up.  that's almost impossible due to fluctuations in wood and CNC work, where if yer off a tad then things just don't line up.

when the barrel is homed to the stock and secured with the tang screw to the trigger plate, will the rear lock plate bolt fit/align with all FOUR holes - offside lock plate, left side stock, breech, right side stock?  the actual lock plate has no holes and requires 8-32 drilling and this is a very good thing.

NOW, will the lock's pan allow the already secured barrel meet the touch hole properly?  to me, that's the prime goal of securing the barrel and lock.

the first problem i'm up against is that with the barrel properly inletted, the tang bolt and trigger plate secured perfectly, the breech tang's rear lock plate bolt hole won't align with the stock holes.  i wish that i was allowed to drill this hole, rather than having it predrilled.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

with the lock plate temporarily pushed in (there is inletting work required), the touch hole appears to be in the right spot ...

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Online doc nock

• BPG Member
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2018, 10:19:09 AM »
Nice pictures; gnarly conundrum... if anyone can figure it out, I have confidence you can... / Will.

I know you'll keep us all posted on how this is resolved!  :thumbs: :wavey:

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2018, 05:59:11 PM »
it all seems to have worked out ok.  took off the barrel, chucked a small rat tail file in a drill and opened up the top of the breech plug's lock plate bolt, put the barrel back and inserted the file into the stock/breech plug to pin it, then screwed the tang bolt into the trigger plate, added the trigger plate stock screw.  filed and fitted the butt plate, filed the proud brass of the butt plate to meet the stock wood's patch box opening.  fitted the patch box cover to the stock - that was not an easy task. the butt plate proud stock wood and its brass gates all need sanding and filing, and the patch box cover's back end proud wood needs sanding down to meet the brass butt plate.  lots more to do, LOTS.

Online goingoldskool

« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2018, 10:43:18 PM »
Looks like it's coming together quite nicely. ...
Thanks for sharing,  Rob!

Online doc nock

• BPG Member
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2019, 09:14:47 AM »
There are terms and labels to parts I'm not even sure I understand or am knowledgeable of, but I'll say again that stock wood is gorgeous... Going to be fun to see it all when done... Dang...

Happy 2019 to everyone here on the board!

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2019, 05:22:10 PM »
chambers colonial round plate (english type) lock disassembled, lock plate edges drafted and prussian blued, beginning the lock plate fit to its mortise.  as you can see, the pan isn't yet touching the barrel, but it will eventually as inlet wood is removed.

Offline Monterey

« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2019, 10:45:39 AM »
This is looking sooooo good.  I like the quality of the brass castings.  So much better that the sand cast stuff.  Your lock inlet is about as clean as it can get.
Mike Lee

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2019, 07:36:00 AM »
it's been an interesting "kit" build so far.  after taking the lock completely apart, i used the lock plate to work on setting it into the stock mortise.  this had some issues that took quite some time to rectify.  when the plate set in well, i reassembled all the lock parts except the frizzen and frizzen spring, as they might get in the way of drilling and tapping the lock plate mounting holes.  i fitted the brass lock side plate into its mortise, fitted the lock and held the lock plate and side plate tight to the stock with a jorgesen clamp.  i used a #17 bit to clear out the brass and stock, and to dimple the lock plate for its two mounting holes.  i used a #29 drill bit to drill out the two mounting holes then an 8-32 tap to create the screw threads in the plate.  so far, so good.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]  

Online doc nock

• BPG Member
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2019, 08:18:24 AM »
As I've said before, Good thing you and others here have the patience, talent and tools to handle the challenges...being nothin but a wood butcher, i'd have throw in the towel I fear!

Hang in there with the other challenges   :thumbs:

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2019, 06:44:40 PM »
trigger installed, trigger guard up next.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Online goingoldskool

« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2019, 08:00:36 PM »
Looking pretty good. .... I watched kibler's  build videos this last weekend. .... he makes it look so easy!  I know I don't have the patience for it!!!!

Nice work!!!!