Black Powder Gang is all about the firearms, and their times and people,
that use "black powder" (known in the 18th and 19th centuries as "gun powder")
as the propellant in both muzzleloading and cartridge guns.
About Traditional Muzzleloaders

Late 19th Century Rifles & Cartridges

Loading Black Powder
Paper Patched Bullet Cartridges
Snapshots of the Past

The American Sharps Shooters

The Denny Ducet Muzzleloader
Video Library

Author Topic: touch hole liner woes  (Read 77 times)

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
touch hole liner woes
« on: September 13, 2018, 05:50:24 PM »
so i have this .62 smoothbore that i had commissioned jackie brown to build for me in the fall of 2016 that arrived at me in the winter of 2017.  a simple farmer's gun, nothing at all fancy.  i received it in-the-white and stained and clear coated the stock.  since i had to pull the barrel to do the finishing work, i also pulled the breech plug out and sure enuf, it wasn't anti-seize lubed as i had asked for.  looking inside was what appeared to be a burr from drilling and tapping for the flush liner (which i asked to be a chambers white lightning but was a knock-off instead).  i used a stone bit on a dremel to smooth down that "burr" but didn't get it flush.  the gun shot well, however, and is very pleasing to hold and shoot, with a very crisp trigger.

running down a patched jag would always catch on that "burr".  yesterday i decided to fix it once and for all, pulled the barrel and breech plug, and after careful examination i realized it wasn't a burr, it was the touch hole liner protruding into the chamber.  a big no-no.  i needed to pull the liner and file it down, but it's a flush liner with no slot and no hex key socket.  i oil up the liner and attack it with an EZ-out ... the liner starts to move and ever so slightly raises up - good.  then the EZ-out snaps off flush to the liner.  cr@p.  i really never liked or trusted EZ-outs and i just *knew* it was a mistake.

spoke to my barrel smith in PA, bobby hoyt, and he said i've got real problem due to the hardness of that busted screw - which i knew, but was hoping bobby could throw me a hail mary pass that i could catch.  we talked over several possible remedies but all were guesses.

i decided to drill a pair of 3/32" holes on either side of the busted screw and drop in some cut 3/32" music wire and use the leverage of a clamped vise grips to wiggle the sucker out.  didn't work.  what next? 

i put a 1" carbide wheel in the dremel and ran it against the side of  a grinding wheel that dropped its diameter to 3/8".  i used the wheel to cut a slot between the edges of the holes i had drilled, wedged in a screwdriver and twisted counter-clockwise with a bit of downward pressure to keep the blade in the slot.   it worked.  free at last.  amen.  a few 1/4x28 touch hole liners on order.  :thumbs:

Online doc nock

• BPG Member
Re: touch hole liner woes
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2018, 06:26:26 PM »
Isn't it amazing that people can be commissioned to do custom work, then do as they want with sub-standard parts?  makes a body nervous to say the last...

glad it all worked (so far) and I hope the rest of the "fix" works as well...

I recall that wasn't the only "Issue" with that Barn Gun... :(

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2018, 03:52:14 PM »
new 1/4x28 liners arrived from TOTW ... wow, that was Fast! 

as expected, the liners were far too long, so i took a piece of 3/32" mild steel and d/t'd it for 1/4x28, then threaded in a liner, vised it and cut it down with a dremel carbide wheel.  filed it up a tad and was surprised to see such a good fit on the first try.  nikaled it in, then vised the barrel again and spun in the nikal'd breech plug.  put the gun together and i think she's gonna be good to go ... at last. 

trivia kudos to anyone who knows what is that piece of 3/32" steel plate's original intended use ....  8)

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Online goingoldskool

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2018, 09:41:31 PM »
I sure am glad you take/post pics of your adventures! !!  You sure work up some dooseys!
Thanks for taking us along on your "fixes"!!!
Rodd

Online doc nock

• BPG Member
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2018, 09:32:58 AM »
I sure am glad you take/post pics of your adventures! !!  You sure work up some dooseys!
Thanks for taking us along on your "fixes"!!!
Rodd

I 2nd that notion... of gratitude for all the insights...not that I'd have the equipment or smarts to try much of it, but it's cool to learn...

Online Jimbows

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2018, 11:53:40 AM »
I also love all your posts and how to’s Rob. Thank you

Offline Huntschool

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2018, 12:33:04 PM »
Rob:

Nice work fixing a problem......

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2018, 05:47:01 AM »
it ain't fixed by a longshot, just a bandaid job for now.  i have a range date for today, leaving in 20 minutes.  we shoot 400 and 700 yards with bpcr guns but sometimes we set up plates at 25 and 50 yards for muzzleloaders, and this smoothbore with get in some shooting today as well.

i talked it all over with jim chambers last night. the game plan is to first drill and tap for a 5/16x32 WL liner and see how she goes. if need be, i'll open that up to 3/8x32 and file down any of the liner past the flat. at this point, i'll take function over form any day. i suspect i'll be happier with the 3/8 liner. since i've already troughed the breech plug, the touch hole itself lines up smack into the middle of the plug, as it should be.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Online goingoldskool

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2018, 05:07:14 PM »
You never did tell us what the 3/32" steel plate was originally used for...

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2018, 05:26:10 PM »
You never did tell us what the 3/32" steel plate was originally used for...

bottom plate on a fender telecaster guitar's bridge pickup - it's what i do.

[ Invalid Attachment ]