About Traditional Muzzleloaders

Late 19th Century Rifles & Cartridges

Loading Black Powder
Paper Patched Bullet Cartridges
Snapshots of the Past

The American Sharps Shooters

The Denny Ducet Muzzleloader
Video Library

Author Topic: Hawken and other Western Mt. rifles.  (Read 63 times)

Offline Huntschool

Hawken and other Western Mt. rifles.
« on: August 12, 2018, 11:35:38 AM »
Just thought I would put up two links for your enjoyment concerning the Hawken shop (St. Louis, Art Ressel) and Green River Rifle Works, Leman trade rifle and Hawken Rifles.

These two outfits likely did more for the Hawken and Leman guns then any other modern day operators. Art Ressel (of the Hawken Shop) had an outstanding collection of original Hawkens and used them to produce parts for building those guns. Art was mainly a supplier of parts although he always had a few custom builds on hand done using his parts.

I had the privilege of spending a good bit of time with Art back then including examination and photography of Dr. Leonard's collection that was on loan to the Cody Museum.

The Green River guys, Doc White, produced the Indian Trade rifle (created by "Blue Jacket Sanders, who left Paris IL to go work for Doc) and the Leman.  GRRW was a full gun maker.

I would suggest for you Hawken lovers that you look at the pictures of the originals from the Hawken Shop.  You might notice some interesting things that get left off of modern made Hawken guns although the set of plans the Hawken shop had (taken from an original) show them quite well.

Any way, sit back and enjoy the info.

http://whitemuzzleloading.com/green-river-rifleworks/

http://grrw.org/the-hawken-shop/
« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 11:36:55 AM by Huntschool »

Online doc nock

• BPG Member
Re: Hawken and other Western Mt. rifles.
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2018, 01:44:06 PM »
Like many good things...gone but not forgotten...