About Traditional Muzzleloaders

Late 19th Century Rifles & Cartridges

Loading Black Powder
Paper Patched Bullet Cartridges
Snapshots of the Past

The American Sharps Shooters

The Denny Ducet Muzzleloader
Video Library

Author Topic: Struggling at 400 yards  (Read 56 times)

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
Struggling at 400 yards
« on: August 11, 2018, 07:58:10 AM »
So yesterday, August 10th, me and Ed were shooting our BPCR's at Ed's 400 yard target range.   Nice weather, bright sun, slight incoming breeze now and then.  Ed with his C-Sharps in .45-70 and me with my Pedersoli roller, also in .45-70.  We both had loaded paper patch cartridges, with almost the same powder charge and identical BACO slick bullets.  We both had gotten good 400 yard vernier sight settings on previous range visits, so we figured it was time to stop putting holes in paper and put up a brandy new 1/4" x 16" AR500 gong, and make some noise, which is a better indicator of a hit that messing with spotting scopes.

Well .... we both had some serious troubles getting on target.  Each of us had made some *slight* cartridge changes that sure whacked out our sight settings.  Ed had gone to a different alloy blend and I was using a different wad and a tad less Swiss 1-1/2F powder, with a different compression setting.  And to boot, I didn't have my sight setting card and 400 yard mark (dummy me!).  We struggled for a goodly while, trying to figure out where the heck those 523 grains slicks were hitting (even using a good spotting scope was difficult to see hits on the paper) and finally Ed broke the jinx with a solid gong hit top left, and baptized it right proper.  His next shot hit the left gong ear, busted the parachute cord holding it, and down she went.  We ran the ATV out to the target backstop and reset the gong, tying on some more 'chute cord.  Back at the shooting line it was my turn.  I set up on the cross sticks and fired off a few and I finally got on target with Ed's good spotting and whacked the gong on the bottom.  My next shot hit the gong's right ear, shredding the chute cord, and it wiggled around so violently that the cord holding the left ear busted loose.

With the gong hanging off its right ear 'chute cord and slowly spinning, I fired off my second to last round for a miss.  The last slick bullet was the charm as I got mighty lucky and hit the sideways gong just under Ed's first hit - you can see the lead skid mark.  A good way to end a good range day.

400 yard targets - way in the background are the 700 yard targets

[ Invalid Attachment ]

The shooting line, left to right - John, Mike seated and on his gun, Chad standing, and Ed (Rich is off camera), my cross stick setup in the foreground

[ Invalid Attachment ]

From a few weeks ago, Ed, John, Rich, Chad

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Online doc nock

• BPG Member
Re: Struggling at 400 yards
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2018, 08:49:51 AM »
Sounds like a good day, Rob...

Forgot your range card!  Doh! Not like you, hoss! :)

I thought you were using inner tube Goldberg set up to let the gong ring louder?  Guess there's a reason they use chain, huh...

Shades of the Quigley movie shooting the rope holding the log?

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2018, 10:10:45 AM »
I did bring the range card, but left it in the car back at Ed's and didn't wanna stop the shooting.

Yep, the thing about gongs and dingers is that they really do ring best when lightly anchored.  That 16" plate hung with parachute cord gave off a loud and satisfying !GONG! when hit well.  The 10" plate we had on chains at the 700 yard mark barely made a tinkle when the hotshot guys hit it with .223 or 6mm fast flying jacketed bullets. 

Didn't have any cut inner tube so we improvised.  Who knew that we were such "good shots" that we'd wind up hitting both 'chute cords!  8)  The better way to hang the rifle steel is with bungee cords and double hook them to the plates using a separate steel plate hook.  This will make for an easy setup, a solid hold on the plates that will allow them to ring well, and an easy fix with extra bungee cords on hand.

Online doc nock

• BPG Member
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2018, 12:39:22 PM »
Guess you'll have to make a plastic card holder on your range box... :)

Just messing with ya Rob! :)

Wonder if those black short bungees at Harbor Frt would serve...one front, one back so if one got plugged, the other might hold?

Still need to have the longer rope to attach the bungees, but I think the black trucker type come in bundles, but haven't checked cause much of what Harbor got is junk but might work for that application...