Black Powder Gang is all about the firearms, and their times and people,
that use "black powder" (known in the 18th and 19th centuries as "gun powder")
as the propellant in both muzzleloading and cartridge guns.
About Traditional Muzzleloaders

Late 19th Century Rifles & Cartridges

Loading Black Powder
Paper Patched Bullet Cartridges
Snapshots of the Past

The American Sharps Shooters

The Denny Ducet Muzzleloader
Video Library

Author Topic: Introduction  (Read 205 times)

Online Huntschool

Introduction
« on: August 09, 2018, 12:08:35 AM »
New guy.  I guess I should introduce myself.

My real name is Bruce Hering.  I have been shooting these front loaders and some BP cartridge for a long, long time.  I was a field rep for the NMLRA for several years and a past member of the AMM hosting several AMM rendezvous at our property including the Eastern AMM National.  My wife and I ran a BP supply company for a number of years an also made primitive tents (Tipis, etc and the real Lean Pee, my wife's design as Shawnee Trading Post) for a number of years.  I was deeply involved  in the Hawken rifle through Art Russel (Hawken shop, St Louis and John Baird, Buckskin Report) as well as Oren Scurlock, Book of Buckskinning and Muzzle Loader magazine back in the day. 

Wife and I spent a good bunch of time with the Tennessee Long Hunters out of Nashville TN during which time I moved from Western Hawken stuff to the Eastern Long Hunter/Revolutionary war "Over the Mountain" type stuff which is really my family history.

Today when I shoot its mostly flinter stuff with some BPC stuff thrown in.  I do still shoot my Hawken which is a measured copy of an original built with a Sharon barrel and parts from Sharon and the Hawken shop.  I was privileged to be able to dissemble and measure all the Hawkens in Dr. Leonard's collection when they were at the Cody Museum years ago and found something no one had found before.  One of Dr. Lenoard's rifles (half stock cap lock) had a formed cow horn nose cap.  I also handeled the Mario Modino rifle.

OK so I have been at this a while.....  I love it and want to keep shooting.  If I can be of any help here please do not hesitate to ask.  I may not have an answer but I may have some thoughts......

Just an old guy (buck skinner) talking.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 12:25:00 AM by Huntschool »

Offline Longhunter

Re: Introduction
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2018, 01:00:51 PM »
Hi Bruce, glad to see another "Old" timer on here. I been shootin these BP guns since Kit was a pup too.. If you made primitive tents and tipis you probably knew Bill Walters who also made them, I forget his company name. I rendezvoused with Bill a lot, he passed over the mountain some years ago.

Welcome to the forum  :thumbs:

Online Huntschool

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2018, 01:34:41 PM »
Hi Bruce, glad to see another "Old" timer on here. I been shootin these BP guns since Kit was a pup too.. If you made primitive tents and tipis you probably knew Bill Walters who also made them, I forget his company name. I rendezvoused with Bill a lot, he passed over the mountain some years ago.

Welcome to the forum  :thumbs:

Yea Ron, Bill was one of a group of us (about 4 or 5) outfits making lodges and "primitive" tents.  There was us (Shawnee Trading Post), Panther Lodges, R&K, Bills outfit (Tent Masters, I think) and Blue Star out in MT. 

I also seem to remember some long haired guy throwing knives up on the "Hill" on the Tomahawk and knife range at Friendship...... I think his name was Ron.....  LOL. Good times back then.

Offline goingoldskool

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2018, 08:33:50 PM »
Welcome aboard from Missouri! !!!  I look forward to gleaning some knowledge from you.

God bless,
Rodd

Online doc nock

• BPG Member
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2018, 09:40:15 PM »
Yea, Bruce, what oldschool said...

We'er not all savvy on this stuff even if we are "old"or old(er)  ;D

Share and there will be those who see it different from their view of experience and some of us who may just find your view one to draw to!

Offline Longhunter

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2018, 09:48:59 PM »
I also seem to remember some long haired guy throwing knives up on the "Hill" on the Tomahawk and knife range at Friendship...... I think his name was Ron.....  LOL. Good times back then.

That's been a while ago.  ::)

Offline Flintlock

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2018, 07:45:51 PM »
Welcome to the forum Bruce! :wavey:

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2018, 07:26:40 AM »
good to see ya here at the bpgang campfire, bruce  :wavey:  :camp:

Online Huntschool

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2018, 07:58:49 PM »
Thanks all for the reception.

The smoke from these guns gets in your brain and has an effect...... albeit a good one, I think.