About Traditional Muzzleloaders

Loading BPCR/BPTR Cartridges

Loading Black Powder
Paper Patched Bullet Cartridges
Snapshots of the Past

The American Sharps Shooters

The Denny Ducet Muzzleloader
Video Library

Author Topic: Goex fff vs Swiss ff  (Read 24 times)

Online bldtrailer

Goex fff vs Swiss ff
« on: July 13, 2018, 05:10:06 PM »
 I get great touching groups at 25yrds w goexfff 70 with gato lube and 490 patched with .018 and better groups with .020 patch but nearly have to stand on loading rod to get 3rd shot(without cleaning). pick up swiss ff (dixon's said 3f might be to hot ) tried 60-65 grain loads and can load several in a row but not quite as tight groups.  looking for suggestions 55? how much more powerful is swiss ff ?

Online doc nock

• BPG Member
Re: Goex fff vs Swiss ff
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2018, 05:21:02 PM »
BT,
i'm surely no expert, but Rob shoots 3f SWISS and says it's cleaner so I got 4# of Swiss 3f and have been shooting it.

FWIW, I years ago in PA shot 100 GR of 3f in myTC 50 cal behind a 490 swaged ball and Bore Butter pre cut Rd patch...

I tend to agree with those who suggest that any time a prb is hard to load, it's just not worth it... Say, you Dry BALL? how are you going to get it OUT?

I shot like 5-6 shots in a row with Swiss 3F and the last shot, the last 6-8" were VERY hard to seat the ball tight on the powder, so I had to pound that one down, but once I shot that, I stopped and cleaned the bore and Ante Chamber.

I am now shooting 70 gr. of 3f SWISS but while Swiss is reputed to be Hotter, faster it's also reputed to be cleaner burning....

If I burned 100 gr. of Goex 3F in a TC 50 cal, and did so for YEARS, I am not concerned with a heavy load of 3F swiss in a well built GPR.

After 2 rt shoulder surgeries in the past 10 yrs, I think 70 is good enough...I do bump to 75 of swiss 3F when I am shooting the 250 gr. REALs as it was suggested that I might want a bit more zip with the 1:60 twist with a real.

The 320s don't print as well, but the short 250s seem to do quite well but they tightened up a smidge when I went from 70 to 75, so 75 I'll keep testing for a while...

They always "USED" to say .50 should use 2f but I had 3f so I used it and found it worked well...now I use it for the main load and the pan...no fiddling with a pan charger and 4f anymore... If my ancestors could shoot 1 or 1 1/2 in the pan and bore, so can I!

Swiss 3f being TOO HOT is just a concept that might be well intended but it hasn't proved out in more guns then mine alone!

Online Yewbender

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2018, 03:02:04 PM »
Hi Tom, im no expert but swiss powder will as Doc stated will burn hotter and have higher pressures then goex. It looks like you will get plenty of range time to work up your best load! Wish i could help you more but every gun is different and lots of tinkering to tweek the load just right for the gun. I only shoot 2F goex in my .54 & .62 cal, works great for me and no reason to change. The .36 gets 3F swiss and .15 ticking. I also use .15 ticking with just enough lube in all guns. Too much lube could cause problems with your groups too as well as humidity and how it affects the burnt powder in the bore.

It’s nice not having to swab between shots but swabbing between shots makes easier loading and also keeps your bore consistant for better grouping. So enjoy you range time!

Offline Kurt

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2018, 09:18:38 PM »
I use 3F Eynsford in the pan and under a ball in all my ML .50, 54 and .58
You might try straight Vaseline for a patch lube. I can shoot a whole 25 shot match without cleaning using it with out having to pound the rod on the ball seating it on the powder. Just a steady push down.