Black Powder Gang is all about the firearms, and their times and people,
that use "black powder" (known in the 18th and 19th centuries as "gun powder")
as the propellant in both muzzleloading and cartridge guns.
About Traditional Muzzleloaders

Late 19th Century Rifles & Cartridges

Loading Black Powder
Paper Patched Bullet Cartridges
Snapshots of the Past

The American Sharps Shooters

The Denny Ducet Muzzleloader
Video Library

Author Topic: Finally...built a range box to carry all the drivel  (Read 1066 times)

Online doc nock

• BPG Member
Finally...built a range box to carry all the drivel
« on: July 07, 2018, 05:23:55 PM »
After having 2x gone to the range only to find I'd left something "KEY" to shooting back at the home 20, I decided to build a "range box" sizeable enough to truck all the truk to the range

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Its like 26 inside x 6 5/8 and I made it of pine, then hit it with some olympic stain that seals and stains in one coat/shot...

I hung it over the vise on work bench so it'll dry overnight...
« Last Edit: July 07, 2018, 05:25:26 PM by doc nock »

Online goingoldskool

Re: Finally...built a range box to carry all the drivel
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2018, 09:18:58 PM »
I'd have that thing filled up with so much stuff.....  hope you pack light, but it looks like it'll hold quite alot.  Looks good too!!

Rodd

Online doc nock

• BPG Member
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2018, 09:25:18 PM »
Rodd,

Thanks, and yea, I will have it loaded up...

One end has a crack in the grain, running thru the 1 1/8" bore hole for the handle and it might require a rework at some point..

Alas, it's hell-for-stout while it lasts.  I used the outdoor deck stain/sealer on it so it should be ready to go once it totally cures.

I like to carry lotsa balls, some 250 and 320 reals, powder, patching and rags, cleaning stuff--- and once I ran off with all I needed but my possibles bag with all the cleaning and measuring and loading tools... next time I forgot the patching material I keep in the fridge... :(

Getting older ain't for sissies! ::)

With this thing, I think I can ensure I have everything in one place so's not to forget bits and parts!

I hope...

Offline Yewbender

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2018, 06:22:05 PM »
Hey Doc, looks like you got some wood working skills! Looks good! I donít think the problem is getn old, I think your just too excited to go to the range and burn some HOLY BLACK! I forget things to from time to time.

Just remember when you get it all loaded up....you donít forget to grab the range box!!!

Online doc nock

• BPG Member
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2018, 07:42:24 PM »
yewbie,

That's why I finally broke down and built it...to get everything in one place.

Even though the Gato Feo doesn't turn rancid, I don't set it out of the fridge and usually (?) put it in the small cooler with a couple bottles of water, some ice pack, a hunk of cheese and something else to gnaw on, but that one time, I opted not to take water and forgot the rest...

I can butcher a bit of wood, but I have an 84 yr old neighbor who has a wood shop that makes it all so much nicer...

I Only have to take a Folding target backstop, box with sandbags, a rest, the small box now replaced with the bigger box, the gun, my shooting bag and other guns I might take, the flintlock, targets, glasses, and somehow, the one time I forgot the whole possibles bag with balls and reals, the other I forgot the lube and lubed patch strips, so I couldn't shoot REALs or the RBs... Luckily, I had the .22 revolver along and got to sight it in.

Now my bug repellent is in the bigger range box, couple cans of 2F / 3F powder, rags, alcohol to clean frizzen, staples, tape, scissors to cut patches for cleaning, moose milk and my possibles bag will be in there so all I have to do is remember to put patch bags in the box and with it this hot, I MIGHT remember to take cooler and water here on out!

Yewbie, if you forget things "Time to time", wait till you get older... I need a list to remind me to take and check my LISTs! :(

Offline Yewbender

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2018, 07:05:44 PM »
Well Doc i see your point brother. Sounds like iíll need to make several lists just incase i forget where i put my backup lists!

Make sure in this heat to drink plenty of water and remember Doc....eat the cheese and not the lube!

Online doc nock

• BPG Member
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2018, 07:47:27 PM »
Well Doc i see your point brother. Sounds like iíll need to make several lists just incase i forget where i put my backup lists!

Make sure in this heat to drink plenty of water and remember Doc....eat the cheese and not the lube!
OMG...nowthat right there is funny, brother...

The lube might not do much bad cause it's pretty pure I guess, but I bet water would bead up in my mouth for a month! ;D

Offline vtmtnman

• Mountain member
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2018, 02:23:03 PM »
Exactly what I need to build.I was planning on making one BP and one for modern guns.Almost every trip it seems like you forget some darn thing.Be nice to keep the targets and an 18th century staple gun in the box too.

Online doc nock

• BPG Member
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2018, 03:22:20 PM »
Be nice to keep the targets and an 18th century staple gun in the box too.

My Dad worked for Trojan Yacht boat company when I was a kid (been bought and sold a few times since) and they used plastic built in fishing tackle boxes in some of the boats...when they'd change their minds on such, the'd salvage out those parts and Dad brought home one I gutted and now have sandbags, targets, etc in with ear muff and NON 18th century staple gun...

When you get a pic of one of those staple guns, do share, unless it be a bloody hammer...  ??? 8) :o ;D

Offline Keith Zimmerman

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2018, 05:19:33 AM »
Good luck carrying that on a woodswalk.

Online doc nock

• BPG Member
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2018, 11:23:37 AM »
Good luck carrying that on a woodswalk.

;D  Good one, Keith... Trouble is here where I ended up, there ain't no such... guess there be some charcoal burners but out by Nashville, which is a horrendous 4+ hr drive each way into Big City Traffic and back...

That's why it's a RANGE Box... :)

Online Huntschool

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2018, 05:52:02 PM »
Nice box Doc.  Now don't forget where ya put it, or the stuff you want to put in it...

Online doc nock

• BPG Member
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2018, 10:10:00 PM »
LOL... good point, Bruce!

It's on the landing to the garage, but with all the wet we've had this year, I've not been out to shoot much...last trip the range was awash in skeeters...I got fierce bit up and they last a good while on me...

Archery starts this weekend I hear but no place here to hunt... :(

Online Huntschool

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2018, 11:51:32 PM »
Doc:

Hold your self....... The single best day to be in a stand is veterans day (+-) three days.  You have time brother.

Online doc nock

• BPG Member
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2018, 08:22:05 AM »
Not about timing so much as access here....

Being the foothill region, it's mostly cattle grazing and I guess folks got tired of "hold my shine and watch this" cause NObody lets folks hunt deer.

There is a WMA not too far that I've combed in spring, and hunted and found less deer sign then I can imagine!!!!  Nice habitat, but teeny bit of sign...  Lots of cattle sign, which is crazy!  Cattle owners dont want you hunting near their cattle but then they let them graze on poorly maintained fenced WMA where you pay to hunt--- ?

An older gent stopped and suggested they had a blue tongue die off some years back and the deer vanished

I'll still go, but my heart isn't in it after a dozen fruitless and no sign hunts/scouting outings