About Traditional Muzzleloaders

Loading BPCR/BPTR Cartridges

Loading Black Powder
Paper Patched Bullet Cartridges
Snapshots of the Past

The American Sharps Shooters

The Denny Ducet Muzzleloader
Video Library

Author Topic: Intro and advice.  (Read 159 times)

Offline CJBrewer

Intro and advice.
« on: June 20, 2018, 05:34:33 PM »
Good afternoon all,

My name is Catlin Brewer from Columbia SC and new to this site, but coming as a seasoned member of TradGang.

I am completely new to the flintlock/blackpowder game, but have really been itching to give it a try! I have been an avid Traditional Bowhunter for the past 15 years, but would love to do some whitetail and turkey hunting with a flintlock.

What would you advise for a nice left handed rifle to start with primarily for whitetail? If i really like this I am sure i will acquire a fowler from there.

Any advice or sources for a beginner will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

Online doc nock

• BPG Member
Re: Intro and advice.
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2018, 07:38:34 PM »
Welcome till others join in!

I sent you a few things I gleaned from here and assembled in Word format documents...

Hope they help....

Online Eric Krewson

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2018, 07:50:00 PM »
Go ahead and spend the money now for a quality rifle. Unlike bows and modern guns there isn't a latest model so your purchase will probably be for a lifetime.

My advice, swamped Rice barrel in .54 cal, Chambers lock and as fancy a wood as you can afford. One never regrets buying fancy wood over plain. As for style , there are so many but it is hard to beat a late Lancaster.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2018, 09:28:58 AM »
welcome catlin!  :wavey:

eric's comment about a acquiring a quality gun is more than apropos for ya, 'specially since yer a lefty.  even used, if you can find one that's a good lefty, it ain't gonna be cheap.  figure on around $1500 for a new long gun.  then add in the few things you'll need to support it's health and happiness.

my purchasing recommendation is to seek out a good gunmaker such as tip curtis in tennessee - there are more than a few others, but tip usually has an deep inventory ready for immediate sale.  custom guns typically take months to build.  another good source is www.tennesseevalleymuzzleloading.com

my gun recommendation, based on yer hunting interests, is a smoothbore in .58 to .62 caliber (28 or 20 gauges).  a smoothbore was THE ubiquitous long gun of the 18th century and it can do it all, from easily killing deer with patched ball to turks and fowl with a shot load.  i have more than a few flintlock long guns, and if i had to have only one, it'd be my .62 smoothie.

cheers and enjoy!

rob.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Offline CJBrewer

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2018, 08:06:09 PM »
Thanks everyone!

I really appreciate it and will take your thoughts to heart Rob!

I am going to begin some deep investigation/research!

I will keep you all posted.

Online Yewbender

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2018, 09:17:52 PM »
Welcome :wavey:

Ooooh boy....someone is going to get bit by the black powder bug lol!!! You came to the right site my friend! You will get all the help you need from some very seasoned bp shooters who are willing to help you out!

As Rob stated Tenn Valley Muzzleloading (Matt Avance)....is a good place to start! I have nothing but good things to say about them and their guns!!! I have 2 build from them and loveím. They build a representation of a style which inturn saves you $$$ plus you donít wait for ever for the guns. For most of the basic guns you can look to about $1,200ish and they also have upgrade options for a modist price. So look at their website, give them a call, cause they are way better then a cheaper production gun like T/C, Lyman, Pedersoli,etc...not to nock them as i have a T/C flinter.

Well hope this helps, also on this sight somewhere i have picís of both my TVM Finters...search under yewbender and check them out!

Online Yewbender

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2018, 09:27:35 PM »
Almost forgot, the 2 i had build are a southern style poorboy in .36 cal and .62 cal/20ga american fowler which was the shotgun in the 18th century.

So if you want a do all gun then the .62 cal smoothie would be my choice! (Note...the Fowler has no rear sight but with load development and practice they are great shooters if you keep shots in you comfert zone.

Online Yewbender

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2018, 09:36:20 PM »
Sorry Catlin, i forgot since getín rid of photo-scum-bucket you canít see the picís of the flinters.

Offline Monterey

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2018, 09:09:39 PM »
Forty or .45 are fine for deer, but if you get the bug to travel for elk, caribou, moose, etc., You will want (and possibly be required) to have a larger bore.  So, I'm going to 2nd the.62 smoothie or alternatively I suggest a .58 rifle or at least a .54.
Mike Lee

Online Eric Krewson

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2018, 09:59:08 AM »
Rob is spot on about contacting Tip Curtis. Tip is getting up there in years, mid eighties I think, I don't know if his son will carry on with the business after Tip is gone.

Tip's place is a black powder wonderland, he no longer makes guns to order but has just about anything you could want in the racks ready to go. You could also save some money if you buy a gun in the white and spend a little time staining and finishing the stock as wells the metal.

Here is a picture of Tip's shop when I was there several years ago. He is located in Cross Plains Tn about 25 miles north of Nashville if you happen to be up that way. He sets up as a vendor at many of the large shoots around the country and may or may not be in his shop at any given time. It is best to call first.

Online doc nock

• BPG Member
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2018, 09:03:09 PM »
Good suggestion to make contact in advance..

Rob sent me this a while back so I'll post it here to make things easier for others...

That's a good 4.5 hr drive each way for me from NE TN, but it seems a gent that age, one should make the effort!

Tip Curtis Frontier Shop - P.O. Box 203, Cross Plains, TN 37049, (615) 654-4445.

Offline lyrrad

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2018, 12:15:45 PM »
Welcome to the addiction.  Like Trad Bows, these primitive guns are enjoyable to own, shoot and just look at.
I'm a lefty as well.  (Actually right handed, but left eye dominate so I shoot long-guns and bows left handed).

I started with a Lyman Great Plains rifle in 50 caliber.  Great little gun that shoots super well and you can get these for around $550.  I bought a caplock to learn blackpowder with.  Not necessary - get a flintlock!

That rifle of course ignited a new addictive hobby, so I bought two more rifles (both Flintlocks) from Tennessee Valley Muzzleloading (TVM).  One is a 50 caliber Virginia rifle, and the other is a 58 caliber Virginia Rifle.  These can be had with a Rice Barrel and extra fancy wood for around $1600 ($1500 if you go with a Colerain barrel).   These are not true custom rifles, but they are very nice for the money.  The fitment is good, and I was very pleased with the product I received given the money I spent.  You'll have to wait about 6-8 months if you order one.

Offline Kurt

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2018, 08:34:32 PM »
Welcome Catlin.

I ran across a left handed JP Beck Lancaster type rifle it has a 42" 54 cal. I think a Colerain barrel with a siler lock when I was looking for a .32 or a .36 squirrel rifle on Steve Losey rifle site. The left handed customs are few around unless ordered.
Kurt