About Traditional Muzzleloaders

Loading BPCR/BPTR Cartridges

The Denny Ducet Muzzleloader Video Library
Snapshots of the Past

BP Gang Pic of the Week

The American Sharps Shooters

Author Topic: Pedi '74 Sharps Silhouette  (Read 144 times)

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
Pedi '74 Sharps Silhouette
« on: April 15, 2018, 09:54:19 AM »
Got this late fine 12.3# bull barreled .40-65 late last year and over the winter accumulated the sights (Lee Shaver Super Grade vernier soule tang and spirit globe front) and all the required load tooling and components.  The PPB cartridges have 65 grains of Swiss 1-1/2f under a .025" card wad, under a BACO .393" 1:20 alloy 418 grain slick wrapped in Fidelity 9# onion skin.  If the weather cooperates it'll all get range baptized this week.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Online doc nock

• BPG Member
Re: Pedi '74 Sharps Silhouette
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2018, 12:13:46 PM »
I'll be anxious to hear how that sweet looking rig works for you out at the range!

Offline vtmtnman

• Mountain member
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2018, 01:37:13 PM »
That's a nice piece Rob.Those Pedi Sharps a good buy for the money?(One of my bucket list guns)

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2018, 02:16:57 PM »
when the weather turns for the better (late spring thru late fall) i shoot weekly for both flintlocks and bpcr.  i shoot a lot.  i go through a lotta pounds of bp yearly for both gun disciplines.  i also get to fondle and shoot a lotta friends' bpcr guns at my local gun club, that's included more than a few shiloh sharps, c-sharps, and cpa rifles.  when i compare the materials, fit, finish and overall craftsmanship, i find it very hard to beat the value and performance of a $1200 pedi sharps over a $2300 shiloh sharps.   

no question about it, if yer pockets are deep and very jingly, and you can wait 19-23 months for an ordered custom build shiloh, go for it. or, compromise and chose a prebuilt shiloh (in whatever it's spex are) from the likes of bill goodman. or search around for a used one (and pay near list price anyway). what you will get is a ground-up American built rifle, with close tolerance fit and finish of everything. i've looked at, operated, and shot more than a few local owned shiloh, c-sharps and cpu rifles, and they are all the cream of the crop status symbol bpcr/tr rifles, NO doubt about it.

on the other hand, pedersoli rollers and sharps have at the very least good builds, with 'match grade' barrels, excellent DSTs, european walnut stocks, and a very good fit and finish that i've yet to have an issue about. i've owned and shot 4 pedi rollers and 4 pedi sharps, currently own and shoot both a pedi roller and sharps in both .45-70 and .40-65, and they will hold their own at a match if not win. the deciding factor is not the gun, it's all up to me and the ammo i build. my adobe walls .45-70 pedi roller, along with ppb bp cartridges, beat them all last year (3 shilohs and 2 cpa's), with the highest score ever shot at my club's six year old 200 yard fall match. i'm not the only one singing the praises of these pedi 'working man' rifles, and you will find a number of reviews by kenny durham in 'black powder news' mag, who uses pedi bp rifles to compete (and even win).

so ... do not feel slighted if yer bank account dictates either getting and using a pedersoli now, rather than put down a deposit on a shiloh and saving up over the next year and a half. do not think that spending $1100 rather than $2300 has just rendered you a rifle that is in some way 'inferior' and not competitive - that is just not true and a myth that needs busting. a pedi is simply not a bad choice at all and will get you shooting now, and for lots less.     

and it has to be a pedersoli - none of the other offshore built bpcr guns from italy or spain can compare.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2018, 02:18:53 PM »
the best buy for pedersoli .45-70 sharps right now is DGW for $1100 (i've had one) ...

sharps 1874 target w/tapered OTR barrel

... another for $1175 (i've had this one as well) ...

sharps 1874 hunter

... OR the .40-65 sharps that i'm about to maiden, $1200 ...

sharps 1874 silhouette w/bull barrel

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2018, 02:24:42 PM »
remember, too, that getting a bpcr rifle is typically just the beginning of expenses, and what accoutrements required will depend on the prime use of the gun. for example, if silhouette or target work is the goal, a good vernier soule tang sight and a spirit globe front sight will be required accessories and that's a big expense at about 1/3rd the cost of the least expensive pedi rifle. then there's cartridge building and all the tools and components required. this stuff is all mandatory for long range shooting and won't matter what brand rifle ya got.

pedi '74 silhouette .40-65 riflfe - $1230/shipped from DGW
Lee Shaver Super Grade vernier soule tang and spirit globe front sights - $507/shipped (economy set without the hadley eyecup is $402/shipped)

the rest of what's needed depends on the guns prime use, if loading cartridges is required (Mandatory for target work), and how fouling control will be addressed.

Online doc nock

• BPG Member
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2018, 03:37:46 PM »
As with the fine custom build threads that show just what all is involved, I appreciate your review of the "just the beginning costs" commentary, Rob.

It'd be easy to start fantasizing the cost of the weapon, but thru PMs I have a very limited understanding of some of the additional equipment like wad cutters, compression drop tubes, seating pressure gauge and a wealth of other stuff that sounds like building MZ kits, it's not just finishing the wood but a lot of understanding, tools, time, talent, knowledge and patience. it seem this BPCR stuff is a lot more involved that slapping a primer and some "White Devil Powder" and a bullet into a case that I can do well!

Offline vtmtnman

• Mountain member
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2018, 11:51:34 PM »
Thanks for all of the info Rob  :camp:

Offline Jimbows

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2018, 08:24:02 AM »
Thats some very interesting stuff Rob, thank you for all the info.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2018, 07:08:37 PM »
this gun has shot well, but not exceptionally well.  the .40-65 winchester cartridge is a bit finicky for me to load.  i took it to our club's spring 200 yard match and barely made 5th place with a 246 out of 300.  i won this match last fall with the highest score recorded, a 278, with a pedi .45-70 and ppb cartridges.  to be fair, i only shot it once prior to the match, to get vernier sight marks, and the second time was at the match.  i started load development for it over a week ago and just could get it dialed in.  time to fall back to plan A ....

my intention was never to even load/shoot the gun as a .40-65, but to convert it to .45-70 which would give me the opportunity to use a custom paper patch cartridge chamber reamer.  last thursday i took the gun apart and shipped the barrel to bobby hoyt in PA for the cartridge makeover - .450 bore, .458 square lands, 1:18 rifling, ppb chamber ream.