Black Powder Gang is all about the firearms, and their times and people,
that use "black powder" (known in the 18th and 19th centuries as "gun powder")
as the propellant in both muzzleloading and cartridge guns.
About Traditional Muzzleloaders

Late 19th Century Rifles & Cartridges

Loading Black Powder
Paper Patched Bullet Cartridges
Snapshots of the Past

The American Sharps Shooters

The Denny Ducet Muzzleloader
Video Library

Author Topic: Any suggestions?  (Read 1033 times)

Online doc nock

• BPG Member
Any suggestions?
« on: March 04, 2018, 02:34:34 PM »
I"ll try this here...didn't get any hits over in another part of this forum...

I've been bantering about the idea of a sling for my GPR.  Only for hunting.

I've had a nasty ole cordora nylon one with 2 loops in a nylon strap to slip over the bbl and the rear of the stock, and with the curved butt stock of the GPR, I affixed some recoil gel under a tie on boot to reduce shoulder pain on a twice operated on shoulder.

I've seen the type on some websites with jute and leather loop ends and also a leather lace boot for the butt stock and a leather loop over the bbl.

My one hesitation is with the boot style since I'd be removing it repeatedly (I usually don't leave a sling on to hunt but tuck it in my poke).  My concern with both the loop and laced butt boot, is if it may loosen the laced up recoil "boot" I built for it. 

I'd likely only use it going in , packing a stand, stool or other drivel, and / or packing out game.  The front loop of leather over the barrel, I'm concerned MIGHT obscure the sight picture should a chance shot offer itself... Here, with so few deer, I'd rather avoid anything that would impede a potential shot regardless of how rare!

So that's my conundrum...On one site a gent who did buy a full leather sling with double loops and reviewed (only review) said it was junk with way too light a leather in the double loops... and would never sustain the weight of his rifle...

I do not think I wish to affix sling studs and tie on a sling to them...

Anyone had experience with both end looped slings, or the boot for the butt type and could you still use the sights?

Thanks!

« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 02:39:34 PM by doc nock »

Online goingoldskool

Re: Any suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2018, 06:58:11 AM »
I'll be watching this....  I think that I saw some pics of Ron LaClair(?)  showing him hunting with 2 rifles, but they didn't show much on the sling used.  I've pondered this same thing on some of my further expeditions.

God Bless,

Rodd

Online doc nock

• BPG Member
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2018, 08:20:28 AM »
Welcome aboard, Rodd.

that miserable old Nylon strapped and Cordura one I had for the ole T/C yrs ago, the bbl loop laid flat enough I could still use the sights, but I'm hoping for recommendations on actual make, model and source.

I admire those braided Jute with leather loops, but stuff ain't cheap enough without asking if others have tried...

Offline vtmtnman

• Mountain member
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2018, 12:56:02 AM »
Years ago when I started hunting my dad showed me how to loop a quick sling out of a length of rope.

Maybe you already know it?I'll get some pics of what I'm talking about for you.I remembered about it in recent times because these guns have no sling,and if you have to drag a deer/bear by yourself that's gonna get tiring fast trying to juggle a full size rifle and a dead critter.

Online doc nock

• BPG Member
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2018, 08:52:10 AM »
Thanks!

I'll look forward to your "how to" on that... Ole Rodd was interested too.

I don't like to hunt with a sling, but as outlined, going in and out with "drivel" would make it more "do-able", but I'd like to still be able to use the gun, should an opportunity present itself.  Some of the commercial ones appear that what goes over the bbl may obscure the front sight or rear or both...

thanks! :thumbs:

Offline Fyrstyk

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2018, 09:03:34 AM »
I use the lace on boot type sling on occasion when I have a long hike into my hunting area or stand.  I have put the barrel loop on the ram rod between the thimbles so it doesn't interfere with the sights should I need to take a shot.  I remove the sling once I get to my hunting area cause I don't want it hanging up in the brush.

Online doc nock

• BPG Member
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2018, 10:12:10 AM »
Thank you for that insight, Frystick....

I may have mentioned that I fashioned a lace on boot with some super gel substance so I'm not sure I want to use another lace on boot over that lest in removing it regularly, it'd pull off the one I made...that'd be a mess!

Good tip though on the placement of the barrel loop...

Thanks!

Offline Longhunter

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2018, 11:38:15 AM »
Sounds like a conundrum to me. Because of the boot you've installed a good quality loop ended strap might be difficult. Sling studs would be a solution but you say you don't want that.

I went to the big Living History show in Kalamazoo this last weekend and picked up a nice well made loop ended strap for my new Bucks County rifle. It has a 42" .62 cal rifle barrel and the gun is pretty heavy so I wanted a way to sling it on my back on the way to and from my stand. historically this gun didn't have a strap and I want to keep it looking PC

Many of my other guns have straps and it makes them easier to carry that way.

The strap I picked up at the show came from KL Customs Storehouse
facebook.com/KLCustomsStorehouse
email is KLCustomsStorehouse@gmail.com

This is my German Jager that typically had a sling. It has a "button" on the stock and a traditional iron loop at the other end

« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 12:35:16 PM by Longhunter »

Online doc nock

• BPG Member
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2018, 12:34:05 PM »
Thank you, Ron...

I don't do Facebook and it appears that is their only marketing source...I couldn't find a website per se.

The ones I've seen the butt stock loop slid far enough up the strap making the loop large enough to go over anything, then at the "wrist" you cinch it down and loop the other loop over the bbl...

As with anything today, there are good and not so good products and producers... I would hate to waste money on fixed income! :(

I may be shadow boxing to worry about shooting using sights with strap on as there is hardly any deer here that I can find where I can hunt in this location I settled in...alas, a quality leather/jute or all leather double loop appears to be my only good option...

Given some of the reviews I've read where some are pretty crappy leather and awfully flimsy products out there, I was hoping for a great quality double loop option to review...

Alas, thanks for your suggestions.  The boot I installed should NOT interfere with a good quality double ended loop arrangement, but who knows! :O

Offline Longhunter

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2018, 01:24:07 PM »
Her name is Kelsey and her phone # is 419-984-3461 tell her she was recommended by the old guy at the show in the black top hat that went out to get his gun and came back and bought a strap and then came back again to get her card.

She was running a sale on them at the show and they were selling fast, I don't know how many she had left. They're a strong well made strap.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 01:26:30 PM by Longhunter »

Offline Longhunter

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2018, 01:41:08 PM »
Dave, I sent you an email to the address on your profile and it bounced.  :o

Online doc nock

• BPG Member
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2018, 05:22:25 PM »
Thank you, Ron...

I didn't realize I had that email on htis forum... I just changed it if you'd care to fwd what you tried to send that kicked back...

One place my profile showed one addy (correct) and another it was the one I just quit... Go figure!

The one in my profile is now correct me at centurlylink

Online doc nock

• BPG Member
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2018, 12:29:52 PM »
Wow!  I have to hand it to ole Ron .. he sent me another email (once I corrected my account listing here as I had to delete the account I was using on Zoho).

I contacted the li'l Lassie Kelsey and what a sweet lady!!!  She's a 3rd generation BP shooter so she makes ONLY what works...

I'm intrigued to see this...

Once I get it, I'll post up pix and thank you again, Ron!

Online goingoldskool

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2018, 04:45:58 AM »
Looking forward to seeing it!

Online doc nock

• BPG Member
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2018, 08:43:34 AM »
Looking forward to seeing it!

I bought it sight unseen, but she makes up colors in the woven part so I got earth tones coming..the leather is a loop around the butt stock then cinches up behind the trigger guard with a different style loop over the bbl...she claims you can shoot with it on if you wish...

She said if I hate it, I could return it... :)  Sounds like what I wanted but she claims they're better made then what you see on line from the BP supply houses...