Black Powder Gang is all about the firearms, and their times and people,
that use "black powder" (known in the 18th and 19th centuries as "gun powder")
as the propellant in both muzzleloading and cartridge guns.
About Traditional Muzzleloaders

Late 19th Century Rifles & Cartridges

Loading Black Powder
Paper Patched Bullet Cartridges
Snapshots of the Past

The American Sharps Shooters

The Denny Ducet Muzzleloader
Video Library

Author Topic: Suggestions on a sling for a hawken half stock  (Read 517 times)

Online doc nock

• BPG Member
Suggestions on a sling for a hawken half stock
« on: February 27, 2018, 01:27:06 PM »
I've been bantering about the idea of a sling for my GPR.  Only for hunting.

I've had a nasty ole cordora nylon one with 2 loops in a nylon strap to slip over the bbl and the rear of the stock, and with the curved butt stock of the GPR, I affixed some recoil gel under a tie on boot to reduce shoulder pain on a twice operated on shoulder.

I've seen the type on some websites with jute and leather loop ends and also a leather lace boot for the butt stock and a leather loop over the bbl.

My one hesitation is the boot style since in removing it (I usually don't leave a sling on to hunt but tuck it in my poke), that going in or out, packing a stand, stool or other drivel, the front loop of leather over the barrel, would obscure the sight picture should a chance shot offer itself... Here, with so few deer, nothing makes sense that would impede a potential shot regardless of how rare!

So that's my conundrum...On one site the gent who did buy a full leather sling with double loops and reviewed (only review) said it was junk with way too light a leather in the double loops... and would never sustain the weight of his rifle...

I do not think I wish to affix sling studs and tie on a sling to them...

Thanks!

Anyone had experience with slings?

Offline BP_Princess

Re: Suggestions on a sling for a hawken half stock
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2018, 12:06:04 PM »
I make slings and I have a leather sliding loop that goes around the butt and tightens behind the barrel, then a woven strap, then a leather piece that easily goes around the barrel and can also come off quickly while hunting.
-Kelsey

Online doc nock

• BPG Member
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2018, 12:44:31 PM »
I make slings and I have a leather sliding loop that goes around the butt and tightens behind the barrel, then a woven strap, then a leather piece that easily goes around the barrel and can also come off quickly while hunting.
-Kelsey

There she is!  ;D 

Howdy Princess!  Welcome aboard... As you may have read early in this series of posts/thread, I personally don't do Face book.. so I can't check out your other wares but I know you mentioned on the phone making "bags" so I suppose you have a line of stuff?

Hopefully we'll see you around...

Online goingoldskool

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2018, 07:04:12 AM »
looking forward to seeing new and exciting things!!!!

Offline stikshooter

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2018, 08:47:02 AM »
I too need a sling for my many Hawkens //Thanks Ed

Offline Longhunter

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2018, 10:27:36 AM »
Hi Kelsey,  :wavey: Welcome. I'm the guy that met you at Kalamazoo and turned Dave, (doc nock) onto your gun slings. I'm not a face book person either but hopefully some on the site are so they can see what you have to offer.   

Online doc nock

• BPG Member
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2018, 12:13:43 PM »
My sling is on the way so when it arrives, I'll try to put up some pics of it off and on the gun...

Ron,
She well remembers your mischievous ole self from what I gathered from speaking with her...Thanks for the introduction to this fine crafty woman (aren't they all a bit crafty?)  ::) 8) ;D :)

Online doc nock

• BPG Member
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2018, 01:04:20 PM »
Sling arrived...happy day!!!

[ Invalid Attachment ]

pic of sling stretched out with yardstick
 [ Invalid Attachment ]

Pic of sling on table---sorry for the contrast of my "busy" tablecloth :(

[ Invalid Attachment ]

the black string wound around the butt stock is attached to a piece of guitar string for a pick.  You can see the home made butt cover housing apiece of recoil gel to protect that 2x operated on shoulder... which is why I didn't want a lace on type for the butt...

I slung this and while the woven material is soft, it distributed the weight nicely!!!  Well worth the money! :thumbs:
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 11:11:42 AM by doc nock »