Black Powder Gang is all about the firearms, and their times and people,
that use "black powder" (known in the 18th and 19th centuries as "gun powder")
as the propellant in both muzzleloading and cartridge guns.
About Traditional Muzzleloaders

Late 19th Century Rifles & Cartridges

Loading Black Powder
Paper Patched Bullet Cartridges
Snapshots of the Past

The American Sharps Shooters

The Denny Ducet Muzzleloader
Video Library

Author Topic: Colorado Regulations  (Read 707 times)

Offline bwallace10327

Colorado Regulations
« on: February 24, 2018, 06:56:43 AM »
In Colorado a roundball used for hunting elk and moose must be .54, no more .50 round balls for elk hunting.  Everything else (deer, antelope) must be a minimum of .50 caliber.  I don't know how this will be enforced; I can't see a parks and wildlife officer manually unloading a rifle to check....  I guess don't get caught with 'em in a speed loader. 

Online doc nock

• BPG Member
Re: Colorado Regulations
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2018, 09:02:27 AM »
Brent,

One would think they'd thought of that...perhaps issue a .490 ball to each officer and if it looks like it'd drop in, tag ya? :'(

of course, where do elk live that deer don't?  That could get complicated since 50's ok for deer, right?
« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 09:03:57 AM by doc nock »

Offline bwallace10327

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2018, 04:08:52 PM »
I guess a .490 ball would drop into any .50 cal. barrel, be it flintlock, percussion or inline. .50 concials are ok for everything, only round balls fall under the new rule. If I have a .50 Pennslvania conical loaded in my GPR or a .50 REAL in my Deerstalker there is no way to tell.   I guess if a hunter was checked with an elk tag and had a speedloader with a .50 round ball they would get a ticket.  Other than that, it seems impossible to tell.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 04:09:42 PM by bwallace10327 »

Offline Blind Dog

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2018, 08:27:05 PM »
is this something new in the Regs? I must have missed it.

Offline bwallace10327

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2018, 07:28:02 AM »
Yes, this is in the new regulations brochure.  It may be in the "New for 2018' section or it may in the the muzzleloader section.

Online Monterey

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2018, 03:39:15 PM »
There's a whole lot of confusion over these changes.  The way I read it is 40 through .50 is ok for deer, bear, antelope and goat as long as the projectiles weigh a minimum of 170 grains.  Since a .490 ball weighs about 177, then it means Conicals for under .50 caliber.  That's not new though it's just a confusing way of saying the same old thing.

What is new is that a .50 caliber can only be used for elk and moose with a conical whereas previously  a .50 caliber and ball was legal.  And, now elk and moose hunted with a round ball must be minimum .54 caliber.

So, if you have hunted elk with a .50 caliber round ball barrel you need a rebore or a new rifle.
Mike Lee

Online doc nock

• BPG Member
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2018, 12:52:41 PM »
I talked with someone in our state elected officials' office recently and we chatted about the confusion in regs here in TN...

What I was told is that with so many game law violations, many departments have gotten attorneys (GAWD) involved in the reg writing to try to tighten loopholes... : :o

Whatever happened to "say what you mean and mean what you say!"?

Online Soonerlonbow

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2018, 07:34:07 PM »
Loopholes....

When I was a cop we arrested a guy for poaching using a muzzle loader. When it became obvious that he was convicted felon and couldn’t have a modern rifle they tried to charge him with an after former felony conviction violation. They were stunned when I told them that that charge would be dropped because it’s considered an antique and legal to own. Sure enough, 2-3 weeks later the DA came back and sure enough, no gun charge.