About Traditional Muzzleloaders

Loading BPCR/BPTR Cartridges

Loading Black Powder
Paper Patched Bullet Cartridges
Snapshots of the Past

The American Sharps Shooters

The Denny Ducet Muzzleloader
Video Library

Author Topic: Colorado Regulations  (Read 301 times)

Offline bwallace10327

Colorado Regulations
« on: February 24, 2018, 06:56:43 AM »
In Colorado a roundball used for hunting elk and moose must be .54, no more .50 round balls for elk hunting.  Everything else (deer, antelope) must be a minimum of .50 caliber.  I don't know how this will be enforced; I can't see a parks and wildlife officer manually unloading a rifle to check....  I guess don't get caught with 'em in a speed loader. 

Online doc nock

• BPG Member
Re: Colorado Regulations
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2018, 09:02:27 AM »
Brent,

One would think they'd thought of that...perhaps issue a .490 ball to each officer and if it looks like it'd drop in, tag ya? :'(

of course, where do elk live that deer don't?  That could get complicated since 50's ok for deer, right?
« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 09:03:57 AM by doc nock »

Offline bwallace10327

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2018, 04:08:52 PM »
I guess a .490 ball would drop into any .50 cal. barrel, be it flintlock, percussion or inline. .50 concials are ok for everything, only round balls fall under the new rule. If I have a .50 Pennslvania conical loaded in my GPR or a .50 REAL in my Deerstalker there is no way to tell.   I guess if a hunter was checked with an elk tag and had a speedloader with a .50 round ball they would get a ticket.  Other than that, it seems impossible to tell.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 04:09:42 PM by bwallace10327 »

Offline Blind Dog

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2018, 08:27:05 PM »
is this something new in the Regs? I must have missed it.

Offline bwallace10327

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2018, 07:28:02 AM »
Yes, this is in the new regulations brochure.  It may be in the "New for 2018' section or it may in the the muzzleloader section.

Offline Monterey

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2018, 03:39:15 PM »
There's a whole lot of confusion over these changes.  The way I read it is 40 through .50 is ok for deer, bear, antelope and goat as long as the projectiles weigh a minimum of 170 grains.  Since a .490 ball weighs about 177, then it means Conicals for under .50 caliber.  That's not new though it's just a confusing way of saying the same old thing.

What is new is that a .50 caliber can only be used for elk and moose with a conical whereas previously  a .50 caliber and ball was legal.  And, now elk and moose hunted with a round ball must be minimum .54 caliber.

So, if you have hunted elk with a .50 caliber round ball barrel you need a rebore or a new rifle.
Mike Lee

Online doc nock

• BPG Member
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2018, 12:52:41 PM »
I talked with someone in our state elected officials' office recently and we chatted about the confusion in regs here in TN...

What I was told is that with so many game law violations, many departments have gotten attorneys (GAWD) involved in the reg writing to try to tighten loopholes... : :o

Whatever happened to "say what you mean and mean what you say!"?

Offline Soonerlonbow

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2018, 07:34:07 PM »
Loopholes....

When I was a cop we arrested a guy for poaching using a muzzle loader. When it became obvious that he was convicted felon and couldn’t have a modern rifle they tried to charge him with an after former felony conviction violation. They were stunned when I told them that that charge would be dropped because it’s considered an antique and legal to own. Sure enough, 2-3 weeks later the DA came back and sure enough, no gun charge.