Black Powder Gang is all about the firearms, and their times and people,
that use "black powder" (known in the 18th and 19th centuries as "gun powder")
as the propellant in both muzzleloading and cartridge guns.
About Traditional Muzzleloaders

Late 19th Century Rifles & Cartridges

Loading Black Powder
Paper Patched Bullet Cartridges
Snapshots of the Past

The American Sharps Shooters

The Denny Ducet Muzzleloader
Video Library

Author Topic: home brewing "Gato Feo" (Ugly Cat) patch and bullet lube  (Read 878 times)

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
home brewing "Gato Feo" (Ugly Cat) patch and bullet lube
« on: February 14, 2018, 06:39:49 PM »
by weight ...
1 part mutton tallow
1 part paraffin wax
1/2 part beeswax

double boiler melt, pour into a cleaned out milk container, cut into cakes, enjoy.  :thumbs: :thumbs:

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Online doc nock

• BPG Member
Re: home brewong "Gato Feo" (Ugly Cat) patch and bullet lube
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2018, 07:10:11 PM »
I've been using that stuff and the thought of melting beeswax and not spreading it on toast is frightful!  But, to date the Gato Feo works and works better without the muss of Bore Butter

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
Re: home brewing "Gato Feo" (Ugly Cat) patch and bullet lube
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2018, 03:51:22 PM »
here's how i melt gato feo into patch strips ...

Online doc nock

• BPG Member
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2018, 05:42:01 PM »
Got approval from Rob to do this...

Dixie Gun Works was the most reliable supplier of "Mutton Tallow" one of the main ingredients in the Gato Feo lube and one of the few fats that is not to go rancid...

A search of the internet found me scratching my head...most were like 8 oz or worse, 1 oz containers for dermal use!

I did find one place in MO that has Lamb Tallow; Tallow, is a designation most used for the Flake Fat around kidneys that is hard and is shiny and slick.

This outfit sells 2# tubs for a good price.  But, you can order it ONCE without the $75 retail value per order as a "sample" and then on it must meet their $75.00 minimum order.  I figure at this age, I can likely have Gato Feo for the rest of my life!  Good thing is that it's grass fed lamb and their rendering removes ALL the H20 and all the proteins, so it should NEVER go rancid...

https://grasslandbeef.com/lamb-tallow is their website.  I'd recommend calling and asking for Laura as she had to put together a special order process to get the sample and avoid the minimum $75.00 order...

Be aware, there is a $7.50 processing fee to cover a small styrofoam box they ship in but no further shipping fee.

The also suggested Dadant (https://www.dadant.com/catalog/crafts/pure-beeswax) for beeswax but one may find it cheaper elsewhere...

They charged nearly $8 fr shipping a 1# block of beeswax in a padded envelope...been cheaper in a SFRB, so hopefully one can find it laid in cheaper elsewhere... $16 for 1# of wax is pretty pricey...

Carry on! :)
« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 08:57:57 PM by doc nock »

Online goingoldskool

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2018, 08:30:52 PM »
I got my bees wax from a guy at church that hands out honey each year.... folks that render honey have quite a bit of it (according to Jim at church).

My little tub that I got from DGW, was enough to make a pretty good size "cake" of Gato feo.

Online doc nock

• BPG Member
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2018, 09:56:12 AM »
I got my bees wax from a guy at church that hands out honey each year.... folks that render honey have quite a bit of it (according to Jim at church).

My little tub that I got from DGW, was enough to make a pretty good size "cake" of Gato feo.

Get as much beeswax as you can...with this Hive Breakdown going around, everyone I know lost their bees and one lady decided to keep her wax to feed her new bees so they had something to "hold them over" till they found enough nourishment to do otherwise.

Seems it's not localized either...happened up home, now down here and that lady was out in W. MO that was losing hers...

What a prince to "Hand out honey"... One guy here sold a full quart for $11 but he recently died and his bees all died before him...Store jar looks to be a quart mason jar but they were special made and only are like 12 oz...sneaky petes!

Online doc nock

• BPG Member
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2018, 02:58:12 PM »
Just got my tallow order in from US WELLNESS MEATS---WOW!

The 2# tub was taped shut, then wrapped in newsprint and taped shut, then wrapped in bubble and taped shut, then inside a Styrofoam cooler which had inside a foil bag and newprint (unprinted ) tucked around to keep it stable and the cooler inside a cardboard box....

Fed ex delivery said front door ok but KNOCK AND put out of STREET view... :)

They dropped this big box on front door step, never knocked but I heard the truck door and checked... 2nd time Fed X did bad delivery on this route... but Been hot here and the tub of tallow was still ice cold!

Online goingoldskool

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2018, 06:41:17 PM »
Looks like you're in business!   The  swarms aren't like they used to be is what Ol'Jim is telling me....  he's saying that honey (farm honey) is getting scarce.  Reckon we'll see what happens this year.

Best  of luck in your brewing!

Online doc nock

• BPG Member
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2018, 08:47:13 AM »
Rob,

there was some VS vendor on CB that when you click his link, it says "sold out 2017"...I know this is 2018, but bees don't work much in winter, so I went with that other outfit... Once I make this double batch, I'll have way more then I'll likely need in this lifetime...

Bummer on the bees!  Been a lot of years since that "Hive Disorder" started taking its toll... saw something on one of the educational channels years ago that they were hand pollinating olives or fruit trees in Europe due to no bees anymore...

Now that is frightening...and yet, nobody can figure out the root cause of the bee demise! And man think he's sooo smart! :(

Online doc nock

• BPG Member
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2018, 12:13:56 PM »
Got all my ingredients yesterday so today I fired up a double boiler arrangement and started cooking my lube..

I had broken the beeswax and Gulf Paraffin into smaller chunks and filled the jar first with the paraffin to keep the jar from floating (found some 1/2 gallon mason jars for canning).

I tested it and it stayed put so this AM I got busy...

I was forced to use a old, old, old Diet Spring scale that only goes to 1# to weigh out my components... I don't think it's very accurate, but at least the proportions should be the same as advertised...

Mine turned out to be dead white, but, hopefully, it will do the job.  Rob stated he uses wax cartons but nothing I consume comes in those so I cut the top out of a plastic 1/2 gal milk jug... left the handle... the lube turned white as it's cooling but it's still somewhat warm sitting in the fridge so I'll be patient before I try to trim off the plastic and make "blocks" of the lube for future use...

« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 12:20:05 PM by doc nock »

Online doc nock

• BPG Member
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2018, 03:21:14 PM »
Dang, anyone want in my will for what I don't use of this?

Wish I had a hot wire cutter to carve that block into smaller blocks... I have a good bit made more professionally to use up before I attack this block...I put the original size milk 1/2 gallon container on top for reference...

That 1# +1# + 1/2 # makes a good bit.... Glad I got the 1/2 gallon canning jar... to cook it in...  ???

Online goingoldskool

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2018, 07:09:40 PM »
Yep... That does make a pretty healthy chunk....  I noticed that when I made mine.  I've broken pieces off and gave them to folks to try and see if they like it as much as I do...  so far everyone does!

Good shootin',

Rodd

Online doc nock

• BPG Member
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2018, 10:24:29 PM »
Rob says it cuts pretty well if you heat the knife first...:)

I was gifted a goodly amount but got a wild hair when I learned that the "Mutton Tallow" was no longer available and found the Lamb Tallow, all from the same kidney flake fat area of sheep and a lamb in Montana that was a year old was a ewe and thereby called Mutton... so hoping it is close enough to work.

The lady at US Meats says that rendering is a bit of a science and all the moisture has to be driven off and the stuff on top skimmed off so the rendered product doesn't go rancid.

I'm figuring I probably have enough for a lifetime, now.

I laid it under the milk jug to show size reference... I got enough of all the stuff to make at least another 2/3 batch, but I think I'll just see how this works first and I won't need any for a spell...

Not many outdoorsy types I've met around here...

Online bldtrailer

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2018, 09:43:51 PM »
Ok for you Pa guys you can buy sheep/mutton tallow(I just did) at the same exit as our favorite place Dixons,  Detricks store and butcher shop in the freezer, butter tub for $3 . an other fine reason to go to Kempton area!
« Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 07:26:38 PM by bldtrailer »

Online doc nock

• BPG Member
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2018, 08:40:32 AM »
Nice tip on the Kempton...

I used to go there with my folks to the Kempton RR and ride the old steam locos... There was a old time restaurant over the way from the RR but it changed hands and so did the fare...

I think it was at Lenhardtsville we use to go to MUD races... Who knew there were such great stores there abouts...

Nice to know such resides in the old home state... Good tip for the other boys on here from PA...