Black Powder Gang is all about the firearms, and their times and people,
that use "black powder" (known in the 18th and 19th centuries as "gun powder")
as the propellant in both muzzleloading and cartridge guns.
About Traditional Muzzleloaders

Late 19th Century Rifles & Cartridges

Loading Black Powder
Paper Patched Bullet Cartridges
Snapshots of the Past

The American Sharps Shooters

The Denny Ducet Muzzleloader
Video Library

Author Topic: Boy do I need a fix  (Read 419 times)

Offline 4f

• BANNED
Boy do I need a fix
« on: February 12, 2018, 10:14:20 PM »
I am waiting for my GPR flinter to get here and the back order is putting it out to late March or possibly April.
I was into black powder very heavy many years ago and I lost my shootin' partner Mike to a heart valve infection and I lost all my passion for shooting.
Sold all my guns and have been shooting my longbows only for over six years.
I just this last few months got to thinking about it and I'm going to get back into shooting a flinter again.
My wife told me it would be honorable to my friend Mike........
That's why I have joined this site, in hopes of helping to fan the coals......  :camp:

Online doc nock

• BPG Member
Re: Boy do I need a fix
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2018, 11:10:11 PM »
I agree with your wife's view of honoring your friend...it might be bittersweet at first, but Good friends generate great memories and I'm sure you'll be enjoying your renewal.

This place doesn't do much to help pass time...too many ideas, too many things it creates one wants to try and in this piglet weather, it's just murder....

Had you bought the GPR "Screwdriver" kit Rob speaks off, you might have found it easier and then had something to do till weather breaks... sanding down the inlets to match the iron, finishing the wood and such...

My first winter, I bought some Russel Green River blanks off TOTW and made some scale handles, then cobbed up some leather sheaths for them... Ain't what Tippet cranks out, but, it'll have to do this po bo! And it used up some time....

Whatever you don't find here, you ain't looking hard enough...I've learned soooo much and my only regret is that in this weather there isn't more posts to feed the need or is it the Greed? :)
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 11:11:10 PM by doc nock »

Offline 4f

• BANNED
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2018, 11:41:42 PM »
Well Doc nock, I would have done that if not for the fact that I make knives too and do lots of leather stuff also.
My wife would shoot me if I took any more time away from her. Besides I don't think I could do a decent blue job on the steel, I did a kit years ago and I did a plumb brown on it using my kitchen oven. It came out decent but I personally like blued.
And I have never seen a cold blue that really knocked my socks off. So I would be taking it to a gun smith to have it hot blued. And there goes the expense again.

Online doc nock

• BPG Member
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2018, 03:48:26 PM »
Well Doc nock, I would have done that if not for the fact that I make knives too and do lots of leather stuff also.
My wife would shoot me if I took any more time away from her. Besides I don't think I could do a decent blue job on the steel, I did a kit years ago and I did a plumb brown on it using my kitchen oven. It came out decent but I personally like blued.
And I have never seen a cold blue that really knocked my socks off. So I would be taking it to a gun smith to have it hot blued. And there goes the expense again.

I hear that...

I opted for the French Gray and it will take time for it to occur naturally... I hear wiping it down with dirty cleaning patches (bbl) helps to speed the graying...

I tried plumb brown on my old T/C years ago and it came out "OK" but it was to look old... now I IS old and it don't make much matter to me...

I didn't have to do that on my hair...age is taking care of that just fine, Thank you!

Offline 4f

• BANNED
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2018, 05:24:12 PM »
I'm getting tempted to touch off some Black Powder just for the aroma. :D
People say it stinks but I like it. Brings back some fond memories.

Online doc nock

• BPG Member
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2018, 06:40:16 PM »
Pity the woman who lives with a man who likes the smell of rotten eggs!  ;D :D :)