About Traditional Muzzleloaders

Loading BPCR/BPTR Cartridges

The Denny Ducet Muzzleloader Video Library
Snapshots of the Past

BP Gang Pic of the Week

The American Sharps Shooters

Author Topic: Suggestions For Load  (Read 224 times)

Offline DarrinG

Suggestions For Load
« on: February 09, 2018, 07:30:46 PM »
Newbie question... ;)

Just acquired a new-to-me 1977 percussion Thompson Center Hawken 50 caliber. Help me pick a load to start out with!

I'm planning on FFg Triple 7 powder, #11 cap.
How many grains to start out with? I've read to start with the same as the caliber, so 50 grains?
What size patched round ball, .490? What size patch?
Anyone shoot maxi-hunters or maxi-balls?

Thanks in advance.

Online goingoldskool

Re: Suggestions For Load
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2018, 10:00:48 PM »
In my TC Renegade,  I use 95 gr and .495 ball. Excellent accuracy.  I've shot maxi hunters, but haven't noticed that they are any better than round ball.

If you can get real black powder,  I think you'll be much happier than with substitutes.

Good luck and God bless,
Rodd

Offline DarrinG

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2018, 10:47:22 PM »
Thanks Rodd.

I'm hoping I can find black powder locally. Goex ffg.

With a PRB,  shooting a .490 ball, I am assuming I need a .010 patch?

Btw, the articles at the top of the page are great for new shooters. Much appreciated.

Online doc nock

• BPG Member
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2018, 09:28:54 AM »
Things I learned here Darren:

1) patch can be the hard way or eZ way... if you have to work to get it down the bbl, it is THOUGHT to improve accuracy, but if you screw up and forget powder, how do you get the ball back out?  Working with looser patching can produce good accuracy as well, I've been taught...

Some like an ez seating ball, some like to work harder.

2) Charge depends.  Does your gun have an ante chamber?  The GPR does, and if that isn't full, you have dead air space between charge and ball...BAD news!  Instructions on Gun say min of 50 of gradient of powder, but I never go that low, so I don't worry much...

3) a charge that gives accuracy and limits fouling is important for a 2nd follow up shot in hunting I'd think...

I personally have Never fired a cap lock so no clue on anything with them... I once or twice up 'home' had T/C Renegades and fired friends Hawkens (we had to use flint in PA) they had... We didn't know much, but I had 3f so that was what I used... I know they say 2f for 50 cal, but I had 3F and it worked fine... I don't know if the TC had an ante chamber or not but we stuffed at least 90 and I settled on 100 gr...I was impervious to recoil back then...490 ball and precut patches back then too... lubed with expensive "bore butter"... GAWD... ::)

I fiddled to make sure the ball was centered on the precut patch but using strips now and cutting at the muzzle is a whole lot simpler...

I wish you well, of course...

Online goingoldskool

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2018, 07:42:30 PM »
Doc is right about the tough/easy loads..... I used the .495 ball with .010 patch.... it's tight and I use a looser fit on my gpr .54.  You will have to play around with your rifle to see what it likes.... and that's half the fun!

#11 caps is what I use.

Keep us posted on what your rifle likes....  we like photos,  too!!!!

Offline Longhunter

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2018, 01:04:08 AM »
I Rendezvoused for many years and the general rule was 50cal and under used 3FFF. .54 and up used 2FF. I don't know if it makes that much difference but that's what most Buckskinners used back then.