Black Powder Gang is all about the firearms, and their times and people,
that use "black powder" (known in the 18th and 19th centuries as "gun powder")
as the propellant in both muzzleloading and cartridge guns.
About Traditional Muzzleloaders

Late 19th Century Rifles & Cartridges

Loading Black Powder
Paper Patched Bullet Cartridges
Snapshots of the Past

The American Sharps Shooters

The Denny Ducet Muzzleloader
Video Library

Author Topic: SOLD  (Read 478 times)

Offline Eric Krewson

SOLD
« on: January 18, 2018, 04:52:06 PM »
 I picked this GrayHawk up at a flea market, it had never been shot. I put a TC New Englander rear fiber optic sight on it because my 70 year old eyes can't see sights well.  When I shot it with 75gr of 2F and a 490 ball it hit high at 50 yards with the rear sight bottomed out so I put a tall fiber optic front sight on to give me more adjustment room for different loads.

I shot the gun about 10 times to regulate the sights, it is as new. I am asking $225 for the gun shipped free. It is a small gun with a 24" barrel and would make a fine gun for a youth or lady. With the recoil pad on the length of pull is 13.5 ". The rifle initially had a poplar ramrod which broke the first time I used it. I replaced the stock ramrod with a really stout hickory one and used the hardware off the original one on the new one. About the same time I bought this gun I got an older TC Hawken Kit my dad had and put it together, it is a .50 also and I don't need two of them.

I shot it with factory sights and a Maxi Hunter bullet and the elevation was right on. I didn't play around with the loading any and didn't get a good group with 75 gr of 2F.

I backed the powder back to 50gr and got this 50 yard group with a .490 ball patched with .018 ticking and 50gr of 2F , the orange circle is 2";

Here is the gun, the New Englander rear sight was used.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 08:38:19 PM by Eric Krewson »