If it loads and shoots with Black Powder ~ muzzle or cartridge ~ y'all come to the right place!

** BPGang Forum Rules **

For smartphone and tablet users, a BPGang mobile theme is available!

Author Topic: Southwestern Trapper's Knife  (Read 1773 times)

Offline tippit

• BPG Member
Southwestern Trapper's Knife
« on: November 25, 2017, 07:14:42 PM »
This may be a stretch for a period correct knife...but the mountain men/beaver trappers did make it into Taos, New Mexico.  Handle is punky burly Walnut stablised with super glue and the voids filled in with Turquois sand...

Plus my knives are in the hands of beaver trappers in northern Maine as we speak...

« Last Edit: November 25, 2017, 07:17:43 PM by tippit »

Offline Longhunter

• BPG Member
Re: Southwestern Trapper's Knife
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2017, 03:20:13 PM »
Cool knife and some good eatin on that beaver.  :P

« Last Edit: November 26, 2017, 03:22:14 PM by Longhunter »

Offline doc nock

• BPG Contributing Member
Re: Southwestern Trapper's Knife
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2017, 09:23:24 PM »
As always, excellent quality Doc!!

I can say from experience trapping/skinning beaver in MT, nothing will take the edge off a blade quicker then skinning beaver...they seem to have their hide fine wired to their carcass...Whew...

Never ate a beaver;  I read where MT men were fat starved living on wild game and would roast beaver tail to get some fat..

.guys in PA would buy our muskrats whole, skin and sell the carcass to folks who resold to restaurants in the south and served up on the menu as Marsh Rabbit...

Um... I KNOW how long I had those carcasses of mine ungutted... I think I ever see that fare on a menu, I'm up and outa there!