Black Powder Gang is all about the firearms, and their times and people,
that use "black powder" (known in the 18th and 19th centuries as "gun powder")
as the propellant in both muzzleloading and cartridge guns.
About Traditional Muzzleloaders

Late 19th Century Rifles & Cartridges

Loading Black Powder
Paper Patched Bullet Cartridges
Snapshots of the Past

The American Sharps Shooters

The Denny Ducet Muzzleloader
Video Library

Author Topic: Deer Drag-Matic 600  (Read 729 times)

Offline Eric Krewson

Deer Drag-Matic 600
« on: December 05, 2017, 07:08:08 PM »
I have found I can't even drag a deer downhill without paying for it later (bad hips and back fusion gone wrong). I have my 4 wheeler for normal retrieval but what if one falls into the bottom of hollow that is not accessible with a 4 wheeler; Enter the Deer Drag-A-Matic 600, patent pending of course, he says tongue in cheek.

A 600 lb boat winch, 80 ft of 1/8" cable, a ratchet strap to secure the winch to a tree, a 20V lithium drill driver with a spare battery and manual hand crank as an optional source of power. Don't know if it will work but I suspect it might. Total cost less the drill driver, $24.

If the drill driver doesn't have enough power I have matching impact wrench (seen in the picture) that puts out 250 ft # of torque that surely will.

OK a nutty idea but there are some areas I like to hunt (walk in only) that the impossible deer retrieval has kept me away.

Online goingoldskool

Re: Deer Drag-Matic 600
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2017, 07:35:07 PM »
I don't see why it wouldn't work!!!!
Good luck with it and keep us posted.

Rodd

Online doc nock

• BPG Member
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2017, 09:06:28 PM »
Only YOU, Eric!  ;D

When I lived in MT, there was a friend who told this story...

Group hunting & one guy shoots an elk...it runs down into a deep ravine and dies there... brush and slash growth prevented getting 4WD pick up down to it...but they had a winch...

Cable didn't reach...so the one guy hustles back to his rig to retrieve some climbing rope he had...heavy stuff...

They ran the winch out to the end, hooked the rope to the winch cable and then had enough to tie around the front quarters of the dead elk...they wound in all the winch cable and the elk didn't move! ???

Story goes the thick climbing rope was pretty thin and you could play music on it stretched so tight...

If that sucker had snapped, it'd have taken their heads off...they thought if they would just get the elk started, they'd be set as it'd likely slide UP the hill and stab a hole in th radiator of the pick up!

In the end, they had to quarter it and haul it up to the truck.

I haven't thought of that story in YEARS, so I thank for the memory jog and I"m sure your gizmo will work much better!  Sounds ingenious and I'm sure it'll do just fine!

Offline Woodchucker

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2017, 07:52:37 PM »
I like it!!!!!

Offline FlintNSteel

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2018, 03:21:28 PM »
Looks like it would work!  :thumbs:

Read an article one time and the hunter shot an elk that ran into a steep rocky area and when it died, fell down into a very narrow crevice and lodged in there about 20 feet down.  They had to build a heavy tripod over the thing with a winch, then rappel down into the crevice to hook onto it and get it pulled up...which they said was not easy because the free fall had kind of wedged the elk in tight.  Glad I wasn't along for that one!
"The farther one gets into the wilderness, the greater is the attraction of it's lonely freedom."  Theodore Roosevelt

Online doc nock

• BPG Member
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2018, 04:53:57 PM »
Looks like it would work!  :thumbs:

Read an article one time and the hunter shot an elk that ran into a steep rocky area and when it died, fell down into a very narrow crevice and lodged in there about 20 feet down.  They had to build a heavy tripod over the thing with a winch, then rappel down into the crevice to hook onto it and get it pulled up...which they said was not easy because the free fall had kind of wedged the elk in tight.  Glad I wasn't along for that one!

THAT Darn sure trumps my story I heard about an elk hunt gone ugly..  :o >:(